Amazon Puffer Fungus?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Lilyloulou
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Guam

Amazon Puffer Fungus?

Post by Lilyloulou »

Hello, I have a newish Amazon puffer. I’ve had him for about a week. He’s about 3 inches long so I assume he’s fully grown. He’s in a 60 gallon community tank.

Water parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40-80 (out of the tap)
PH 8.0 (sometimes it reaches 8.2 but never higher)

I have a planted tank with hornwort, java fern, Anubias, and wisteria. Other fish: 2 gouramis, 2 rams, 3 black neon tetras, 3 serpae tetras, 2 yoyo loaches, and a tiny red tailed shark (taking care of for a friend... yes, I know it’s going to get massive and I a plan for that when it happens years from now).

First, any tips to remove nitrates would be appreciated. Although it’s never seemed to affect my fish, I’d still like to lower it for obvious reasons. I read about putting Pothos in the tank but I know puffers like to munch on plants so I would like to know if this is a good idea or is I’ll advised.

I thought my puffer had cloud eye so I began treating with melafix two days ago. One of the eyes has improved but the other looks fuzzy. I have since noticed some fuzz on the tips of the fins as well. I soaked some brine shrimp in garlic and fed last night. He has a good appetite and is very active but I’m worried that maybe it could be ich? Fungus? I had a few neons die from columnaris about 6 months ago and the fuzziness looks strikingly similar but it’s only on the eye and fins. Please help, I’d like to keep this fella for a long time, he’s already become my favorite fish. I should also note that the stupid fish store didn’t recommend a long quarantine; only a day or two... which I stupidly did without reading anything here first. Thanks in advance for your help!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Amazon Puffer Fungus?

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Unfortunately, columnaris is extremely difficult to eradicate completely from a system. Can you post a pic? Could it possibly be velvet? SAPs are almost sure to come down with that when newly purchased.

Pothos is toxic to pets but not fish, I believe. I have often seen them used for filtration.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Lilyloulou
Puffer Fry

Post by Lilyloulou »

Thank you for your response. Here is a photo, you can see it on the eye and top edge of the fin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

That is NOT an Amazon puffer. It is a Tetrodon fluviatilis (Ceylon puffer). It will grow to 7" & prefer SW as an adult. Keeping a "salty" fish in FW will lower it's immune system, leaving it open to a litany of diseases.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28646
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Lilyloulou
Puffer Fry

Post by Lilyloulou »

Thank you again for the response. I’m absolutely LIVID AS I TYPE THIS. I am utterly appalled that the store I purchased him from is selling these as freshwater amazon puffers!!! I don’t even know what to do. I do not have another tank at the moment and I certainly do not want to take it back to the place I purchased it since they are selling these fish to people like me who wouldn’t know the difference. On a positive note, the melafix helped and when I got up this morning, the eyes were both clear and fins look good. I want to get him into some salty water as soon as possible, do you have any suggestions? I certainly don’t have the disposable funds to begin a whole new aquarium today but something in the interim would be helpful. Do you think it’s horrible to keep him in third aquarium for a couple of weeks until I can get a new setup for the cute fella? I adore him and DO NOT want to risk taking him back to the store and have him not taken care of. I almost want to buy the rest of their stock so I can save them. I’m so heartbroken and angry.
Lilyloulou
Puffer Fry

Post by Lilyloulou »

Sorry for the bombardment of posts but it just occurred to me that I could convert my existing aquarium into a brackish one and re-home my other fish in a smaller tank. Thoughts on this? Any tips on converting? Do these fish do well with others of their species? If so, I’m definitely going to go buy the other two so they have a good home. I didn’t really have time to consider the possibilities before I hastily (and angrily) responded to your last post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

60g would be PERFECT for him. You're gonna love this fish! One of my favorite puffers. :smitten:
Don't start adding salt until parameters are stable for 2 weeks.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348

Lilyloulou
Puffer Fry

Post by Lilyloulou »

I cannot thank you enough and I’m so glad I found this forum otherwise I never would have known.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm excited to follow you on this journey!

Lilyloulou
Puffer Fry

Post by Lilyloulou »

Just wanted to update. My puffer is doing great solo in his brackish tank. Moved all of my other guys and gals to their new home in another tank. Both eyes have cleared up on and he has a good appetite. However, I noticed two white specks on the tail fin and it looks just like ick and one on his side. Too small to notice catch in a photo. I added salty water at sg 1.004 and did a 50% water change so the tank is now 1.002 and will raise by another .002 in a week. I added a heater as well. My water stays a constant 80 degrees without the heater but I grabbed one to help with ick and have it set at 82 and I raised it very slowly throughout the day. Should I be doing more frequent water changes with ick? Or should the salt and warmer water take care of it? Do you recommend raising temp above 82? Thanks again, Pufferpunk! I’m so glad you helped me and my new puff out. Everyone is much happier now!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Lets see how it responds to the salt. A few spots doesn't necessarily mean ich. The fish will look like it's been "salted".