What puffers for new tank, SAP?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Kren
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

What puffers for new tank, SAP?

Post by Kren »

I just re-set up my 30 gal tank. I am looking at getting puffers because they are the best. The tank originally came with pea puffers i didn't like. They were too small and i couldn't see them very well unless i was right next to the tank. So I'm looking for something larger that will still be happy in the tank. To begin with i do know it will be a while till i can put them in i need to break in the tank. But as of know i was looking at getting 1 or 2 SAP with some community maintenance fish to clean algae and the mess they make. Some of the info i have found is contradictory. It said that you need 1 or 6+. or 3+ or 2 is ok. This site seams more reliable than random you tube vids.

So my Big question is how many do i need, what will go in the tank with said SAP or SAPs. OR do i need to be looking at a completely different species.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: What puffers for new tank, SAP?

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Puffers are not community fish. SAPs like to be in groups, so a 55g is recommended for 4-5 of them. I would suggest looking into keeping a pair of F8s or look into the Target species.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Kren
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by Kren »

Ok so i wasn't attached to SAPs, the LFS said i could do 1 and some community fish. I guess they were wrong.

As for the F8s. Getting mixed info. Are they brackish or FW. Some say fresh others brackish. Or just brackish for breeding. The internet is horrible and excellent for info.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Pea Sherman
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by Pea Sherman »

Spotted puffers are good to they grow to 5 inches there cute and good for a tank
:)