Company Puffers

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Yarpa
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Cadiz

Company Puffers

Post by Yarpa »

Hi,
that other puffers could coexist with the carinotetraodon travancoricus, such as the lorteti modestus or some
thanks and best regards
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

Re: Company Puffers

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

Lorteti are the meanest of the Carinotetraodon red eyes (Irrubesco the least). I Suggest staying away from any dusk/night active puffers (if they have red eyes that’s a big tell) the reason being that your travancoricus will eventually have to sleep, and considering they will also be occupying the lower levels of the tank, when the nocturnal puff gets up to hunt/eat, that’s when your pea puffs will be sleeping and unable to defend themselves or flee. Also, the peas are small enough to fit in 90% of all other FW puffs mouths... which means more than their fins will be on the menu!

I have heard of C travancoricus and C. irrubesco being in the same tank, however it was from an extremely educated and experienced fish and puffer keeper (I think it was the great Mr. Neil Monks if I’m not mistaken), and we know a happy ending mixing puffers is more the exception than the rule. I honestly think that if tank mates are a must, puffers aren’t a good choice. Very few are peaceful enough to be kept with ANYTHING let alone another puff (save Schoutedeni and Aellus). Ottos and inverts larger than them (like adult Amano shrimp), have been famed to cohabitate well with C Travancoricus. May I ask what your motivation is for choosing another puffer to put in the tank with them? Maybe we can find something else that fills your wants and needs, and has less room for loss! ☺️
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown
Yarpa
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Cadiz

Post by Yarpa »

thank you very much for your explanation partner, I was motivated to put other puffers because I do not want to have only puffers in the aquarium, that other fish you can put I have thought of carnegiella strigata or beaufortia leverti or some dwarf cyclid.
Have you had these balloon fish?
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

I apologize for the late reply, I didn’t see your post!

I personally do keep many different species of FW puffer! I have a couple C. Travancoricus (pea puffs like yours), P. Cochinchinensis (fangs puffer), T. Miurus (potatoe puffer), and a P. Palembangensis (Dragon or humpback puffer- who’s actually not mine, rather my “patient” I’m bringing back from deaths door for a good friend.. but after 2 mo’s he sure feels like hes mine lol) To be very honest, I have not ever somuch as attempted tank mates for any of my puffs. Except the peas, there are two female puffs and 3 Amano shrimp in their tank, aside from little squabs at feeding time- the tank does well.

After doing some more research and talking to a some people who actually keep the species, I am
coming to find that the Pea puffs cohabitate pretty well with their cousins, C. Irrubesco. They are commonly less aggressive or mean than their other cousin C. Lorteti. I heard a handful of firsthand accounts of the combo working pretty well in a heavily planted tank! Where do you live? If it’s not in the USA, then you may be able to find this specific species of puffer. They are rather stunning as well, that would make for a beautiful tank if you had the Irrubesco and Travancoricus together!
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

It's Dr Neal Monks. ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Vlogsize
Puffer Fry
Location (country): canada

Post by Vlogsize »

Again, I found a good source of information like this, thanks to it.