Keeping Dwarf Puffer Fish as a Single Specimen

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
maxfrenkel19
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Keeping Dwarf Puffer Fish as a Single Specimen

Post by maxfrenkel19 »

Hello,

I am an experienced hobbyist, but have never kept any species of puffer fish (although I've always wanted to.) I am setting up a heavily nano planted tank to house dwarf puffer(s). I have read extensively about this fish (including care sheet on this website) and am very comfortable setting up a tank that they will thrive in.

I have one question that I haven't seen answered (outside of a brief reference on WetWebMedia) and would like a few opinions on. I would like to keep a single specimen in a tank rather than a group. I know they are very intelligent and inquisitive fish, and need a diverse and interesting tank to keep them busy. But how social are they? Will a puffer kept without conspecifics be bored/unhappy, or relish the idea of having a territory and food supply all to himself?

I found a reference on WetWebMedia indicating that in the wild, dwarf puffers grow up in groups, but disband as they enter adulthood and rarely run into other puffers as they mature. This indicates to me that it wouldn't feel unnatural for a single puffer to be alone in a tank, but I would like other opinions if you have them, as I haven't found any other references outside of the one I had mentioned.

If you're curious as to WHY I want to keep single puffer rather than a group, it is to lower the bioload. I prefer to keep stocking levels FAR below the recommended "maximum" for a tank's capacity. Aquariums are a source of relaxation for me, so a tank where I'm not constantly worried about fluctuating tank parameters, over/under feeding, fish agression, etc is ideal for me. The less to worry about the better.

Appreciate any and all opinions!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Keeping Dwarf Puffer Fish as a Single Specimen

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
maxfrenkel19
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by maxfrenkel19 »

Thank you! I read clips from "Alone but not Lonely" elsewhere (I recognize the wording) but did not see the whole article. That's exactly the answer I was hoping for, one puffer it is. Appreciate the help.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

No problem! Glad to see folks are still using WWM.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"