Tetraodon schoutedeni on the way- advice needed

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

Tetraodon schoutedeni on the way- advice needed

Post by astrid37 »

Hello Everyone,

So excited! I was lucky enough to snag a schoutedeni who will be arriving in about a week. The store isn't planning on deworming, so I am wondering what you all recommend I use for that when she arrives, protocol, substance, dosing, frequency etc.... (I am calling her a she although I know that they can't really be sexed visually). I have a cycled 55g ready with 10 serpae tetra and 10 corys lots of plants and room to swim, so she should hopefully land in a good spot. I want to do this right, off the bat!

Thanks in advance for any advice on this (or anything else). She is my first puffer. I have only seen a photo, and I am already in love. :D

Astrid
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Tetraodon schoutedeni on the way- advice needed

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by astrid37 »

Sorry I missed this, thanks so much!
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by astrid37 »

Are there any particular brands of vitamin soaks that are recommended? Also, good places online to get blackworms, tubifex worms, and freeze dried krill? I have done a search, and there are quite a few, so was hoping for recommendations there, too. I have been breeding ramshorns in a separate tank in preparation for finding a schoutedeni, so am set there. Thanks! I am so grateful for this forum!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I use Vita-Chem
Mine are really loving live worms (Walmart), scallop & shrimp.
http://www.jehmco.com/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

sarahnya
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by sarahnya »

Sorry to hijack this tread but my questions are so similar, I'll make a new thread if need be though.

I've been told my fish shop are going to get these in after the new year. I'm thinking of adding one to my planted 240l (60g) community tank which consists of 2 SAPS, Threadfin Rainbows, dwarf Rainbows, Wapoga Rainbows, 10 Dwarf Chain loach, 10 Diamond Tetra and Ember tetra.

I'm just worried about fin nipping, also I read they like to bite plants but that was just 1 report. Obviously they aren't that common so there's not a great deal of info to go on. It was Cory at Aquarium Co-Op that got me going about these on YouTube. He said they were personable and good in a community whilst being totally freshwater and not too big.

Is this all too good to be true or one of those, well they are OK if you get a "nice one" situations lol.

I do have a spare 100l to put him in if this all goes Pete Tong.

Oh yeah advice on a healthy diet would be good, do they require a walrus ton of snails like the Amazons and also will they be able to bite through mussel shells when older. Any other crunchy food recommendations appreciated :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I would not combine 2 species of puffers in 1 tank.

sarahnya
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by sarahnya »

Ok so maybe put the Congo in the spare tank with a few fast fish. Free up some space in the 240l and get another SAP lol
Pallokala
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Finland

Post by Pallokala »

sarahnya wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:32 pm
I've been told my fish shop are going to get these in after the new year.
Hi, may I ask what stock company your pet shop is using to getting them, and how much they cost there?

I'd like to get a pair of T. schoutedeni myself, but I wonder how the Germany bred fish can cost 200€ if the wild ones are the same priced, are they just greedy and charge that just because they can... The stock that has them now is Aquarium Glaser. Apparently they had wild caught ones in 2015 when they've posted this article that explains why the wild ones cost that much: http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/fish-ar ... tedeni_en/

I read the other post here at the forum that said some shop in US sells them for 15,99 dollars if they get them from a breeder in China :shock:
PUFFWHO?
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by PUFFWHO? »

Pallokala wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:06 pm
sarahnya wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:32 pm
I've been told my fish shop are going to get these in after the new year.
Hi, may I ask what stock company your pet shop is using to getting them, and how much they cost there?

I'd like to get a pair of T. schoutedeni myself, but I wonder how the Germany bred fish can cost 200€ if the wild ones are the same priced, are they just greedy and charge that just because they can... The stock that has them now is Aquarium Glaser. Apparently they had wild caught ones in 2015 when they've posted this article that explains why the wild ones cost that much: http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/fish-ar ... tedeni_en/

I read the other post here at the forum that said some shop in US sells them for 15,99 dollars if they get them from a breeder in China :shock:
No there’s only one breeder in the whole world right now out of Germany
PUFFWHO?
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by PUFFWHO? »

Personally do not think they should be kept solo

They are together all day and night
They only run from my male when he’s pissed off lol
Otherwise everyone is tight
Even the two new one I put in today were accepted immediately
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...
Location (country): USA

Post by StinkyPete »

As for food, we are getting two results so far.
The two Tetraodon schoutedeni have different tastes in food.

One Tetraodon schoutedeni really really likes thawed blood worms as well as Ramshorn snails and has passes on the live organic earthworm and live black worms lately.
The 2nd Tetraodon schoutedeni eats it all.

The live snails are the most fun.
After the snail delivery, they scout out the whole tank in search of more snails and it seems to keep them mentally busy too.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by astrid37 »

I'm still only able to get the baby T. schoutedeni to eat live blackworms and ramshorns. The older one will eat freeze dried krill soaked in vitamin water, sometimes clams soaked in vitamin water, shrimp soaked in vitamin water, and live blackworms. They are both big fans of the ramshorns. Finding size-appropriate ones in my snail tank can be a bit of a challenge, as the baby's mouth is incredibly tiny, but that's a minor problem. They have been in the same tank since May 24 and have good days and "bad" days in terms of getting along (mainly the baby trying to latch onto the older one's belly like they do as part of the mating sequence). The older one sees this as harassment and gets quite annoyed, nipping at the water around the baby and swimming away to hide. Wondering if this means that I do indeed have one male and one female...