My dwarf puffers always hides and never comes to the front like it use to

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
myss_yang
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

My dwarf puffers always hides and never comes to the front like it use to

Post by myss_yang »

So i have had my two dwarf puffer, one male and one female for 8 months now. They use to come up to me when they see me and they will come up for food but now, they stopped doing that. They still eat but only when im not looking. They also hide all the time and barely swims around. This started to Happen after i took out one of the fake plants that the puffer would always sleep on and than added more plants. they wouldn't swim up to me anymore after that. And than they both started to hide all the time after the otto died and after i took the dwarf frog out, which left them being the only ones in the tank. but i have been keeping the decorations the same for the past couple months and they still be hiding from me and not swimming around. Does anyone know what i can do to make them more active? The personality just changed completely for about 4 months now. I have had them for 8 months total. Can anyone tell me if they have the same problem and how they fixed this? Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: My dwarf puffers always hides and never comes to the front like it use to

Post by Pufferpunk »

I assume you do regular WC & the parameters are good?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
myss_yang
Puffer Fry

Post by myss_yang »

Yes i do. I have a full test kit and i always bring some water to test at the pet store just to be sure.
PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
NItrate 0
Temp 76 to 78
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I would up the temp to 80. You should be showing some nitrate. How heavily decorated is the tank? Is the shy one swimming/eating normally?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

myss_yang
Puffer Fry

Post by myss_yang »

They both are very shy. They wasn't like that for the first couple months that i had them. It started to Happen after i throw out a plant that they always sleep on. I have my fish tank running for a year now and the nitrate and nitrite have always been 0. I took it to test at the pet store too and they always tell me that my water is perfect. My tank is highly decorated but i do not have live plants. My temperature can Only be set to 78. Do dwarf puffers prefer higher temperatures?
myss_yang
Puffer Fry

Post by myss_yang »

And yes i forgot to tell you, they both been eating normally. The stomach is big and round all the time. I feed them live black worms everyday. They are just hiding most of the time and not coming up to me like they use to.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It started to Happen after i throw out a plant that they always sleep on.
There's your answer. Why did you remove it?

myss_yang
Puffer Fry

Post by myss_yang »

I removed the fake plant because it was getting too dirty. Too much algae growth on it and it wouldnt come off when i scrubbed it. But i added new plants in there. I didn't think by doing that, the puffer's personality will change. That was the spot they been sleeping on for five months. But its been three months now so they should of got used to the new plants and decorations? I don't know why removing their sleeping spot would cause them to behave that way for three months.
RonJ
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Singapore. Less than 75miles from the equator. Warm weather 365days a year.

Post by RonJ »

myss_yang wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:31 am Yes i do. I have a full test kit and i always bring some water to test at the pet store just to be sure.
PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
NItrate 0
Temp 76 to 78
Nitrate 0? That kind of puts all the other readings also in the shadow of doubt. A cycled tank usually would never have 0 nitrates. May be in an ideal heavily heavily planted situation may be. But I have not seen one. Especially with messy eaters like dwarf puffers, left over food decaying, nitrates really won't be 0. Can you please retest?

Oh did not realize the thread is 3months old almost :(