SAP Update

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
sarahnya
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United Kingdom

SAP Update

Post by sarahnya »

Well following my disastrous attempt at Figure 8 ownership (he died of unknown causes not long after having him).

I decided to get a couple of freshwater SAPS as I found them pretty cute and supposedly you can keep they with other fast moving fish.

Anyway I've had them for over 6 months now and they are doing well, they are much plumper and happier than the sad little skinny punks I picked up from the pet store. I've got them eating ramshorn snails, bloodworm and Full Spectrum Fish pellets.

However I noticed a few weeks ago they both were sporting walrus eating grins, apparently a Snail a day doesn't keep the nail clipper away!

So having read that clove oil had been linked to brain damage I opted to use Kusuri Masuizai Koi sedative dosed at just under 1ml for 1 litre of water which worked a treat and had them doped up within 2 mins. I noted that this sedative did not make them completely roll over like clove oil appears to in the videos on YouTube. I managed to snip their tooth plates really easily, in fact it was a lot easier than I imagined and they recovered within a minute.

It's been 2 days now and they still look good! I must admit I did say to my boyfriend before we performed the procedure that he better pick some new fish out as I didn't think they would survive my treatment lol

Anyway, hope this info helps anyone deciding to keep SAPS as I know they aren't too popular because of the toothy issue. Also I do find they are good with their tank mates for the most part, I've got them in with 2 platty, 2 reticulated corydoras, 5 kuhli loach and a female endler guppy. The only casualty has been a male endler guppy who I think was just too small and had that red stripe on his body that looks kinda like a bloodworm, he was murdered within minutes of putting him in the tank and his wife was made a widow :(

Oh and they love life shrimp, go absolutely nuts chasing them about and biting chunks off the poor things :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: SAP Update

Post by Pufferpunk »

Wonderful, thanks for sharing this!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"