Starting a 20L Dwarf Puffer aquarium

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
ptw22
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Columbus, OH, USA

Starting a 20L Dwarf Puffer aquarium

Post by ptw22 »

Hello all,
I've decided to get back into the aquarium hobby after a long hiatus, and have become really interested in getting Dwarf Puffers. I just ordered the stand and aquarium yesterday.
I don't really have an LFS, the nearest pet store is a Petco and they're not that impressive. I do most of my shopping online.
I am hoping to eventually get 4 DPs, and probably no other fish. I would however, like to get lots of plants, and wanted to ask what kinds would be hardy and good for DPs, and what substrate that would require. Also, at one point during the cycle should plants be planted?
I would also really like to have a self-sustaining food source. I've read some posts about people keeping cherry red shrimp and/or snail colonies in DP tanks, but I would be worried about a)the colony not lasting and b)the puffers overeating. If I were to have a separate little tank, what would be the preferred thing to "farm"? Snails, shrimp, black worms, etc? Do DPs required a varied diet?
Does the normal filter rule (one size up) still apply to DPs? I know they're messy, but I've also read that they don't like strong currents. Would a HOB be sufficient?
That's about the all the questions I can think of right now. Any help is appreciated!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Starting a 20L Dwarf Puffer aquarium

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
20 gallon long tank is perfect for 4 DPs.
Start by reading these: library/puffers-in-focus/dwarfpuffercare/
library/puffers-in-focus/sexing-carinot ... rf-puffer/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
ptw22
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Columbus, OH, USA

Re: Starting a 20L Dwarf Puffer aquarium

Post by ptw22 »

Several months later and my aquarium is doing very well! I currently have 2 puffers I got back in october in the pretty well planted 20L, and a 5 gallon "snail farm" below them.