Considering moving 2 Saps to my Dwarf P tank

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
sosystems
Puffer Fry
Location (country): NY, USA

Considering moving 2 Saps to my Dwarf P tank

Post by sosystems »

I have an established dwarf tank, the 6 of them are healthy, curious and have been together just under 9 months. In my brackish tank I had 3 saps in with the others (at a very low salinity (.002-3). they were fine for a few months in there, growing and looking /acting healthy, but I see some changes in their behavior: less growth and a loss of one of them... and as much as they normally flit about, this has decreased as well.
So my question is:
because they have become accustomed to challenging their tank-mates for food, will they negatively effect the dwarfs apparent balance among themselves? Dwarfs are in FW as well, so the change back to fresh should be a good change for the saps.
IMG_20170825_144829561.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Considering moving 2 Saps to my Dwarf P tank

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I definitely would not put the 2 species together.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
nmonks
Mentor
My Puffers: Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Colomesus asellus

Post by nmonks »

Colomesus asellus has been reported from brackish water habitats, and as you say, can tolerate some salinity for extended periods. Fishbase says much the same thing, but I'm concerned that reports of specimens in brackish water may be mistaken reports of Colomesus psittacus, a species that has frequently been confused in the aquarium (and probably scientific) literature, in much the same way as Tetraodon palembangensis and Tetraodon biocellatus were confused for a long time, resulting in erroneous reports of the latter species being a strictly freshwater species.

Anyway, while I doubt SG 1.002-1.003 will cause SAPs any serious harm in the short long term, I think I'd be trying to keep them in neutral, well-oxygenated freshwater if that was possible. Water chemistry isn't a major issue for them -- they are, as you report, extremely adaptable -- but they are sensitive to their tankmates. Like all puffers, the default is surely to keep them on their own or, in the case of this species, in groups. Dwarf Puffers should be fine, but I'd keep an eye on them. I will observe that I kept SAPs with Carinotetraodon irrubesco for many years and this worked extremely well -- though again, misidentifications can mean other Carinotetraodon get sold as Carinotetraodon irrubesco, some of which are far more territorial, nippy and mean-tempered.

Cheers, Neale
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I can tell you that my C lorteti were KILLERS, even my female killed her mate after spawning with hin 3x!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

Neal Monks lives!!!!!!!!!

Very excited to see you back, I am a big fan and love reading your input and observations!!! I would venture to guess, you surely did not have misidentified Carinotetraodons, as the Lorteti would surely have been feisty toward the saps...as PP noted!... and the other two species are more easily told apart. However, I would imagine the Irrubesco would work just fine as they are active during dusk to night hours, hiding in the plants most of the time, along with occupying the bottom most portion of the tank would keep them well out of your saps way 98% of the time. Plus I have also noted that Irrubescos can be very shy at times (though not always, after all, puffers will be puffers!).

Any chance you have encountered any of the red eye Carinotetraodons recently (Irrubesco, Lorteti, Borneesis, or Salivator)? Forgive me for asking, my years of searching have left me shameless!

Oh the note of keeping saps with dps, I have never personally tried this, but a handful of things I always consider when mixing species: eating habits (Hunter/lurker/open water hunter), area of the tank each will occupy (top, middle, bottom, substrate), temperament of each (including both aggression and skiddishness when kept in improper numbers or habitats), environmental needs of each (tank length vs height, plants/rock/sand/open swimming room? etc. water conditions, and flow/turbitidy needs) and with all puffers, I always ask myself: can one fit In the others mouth (no joke! And even If not, I always consider the worst case scenario, so that I have a full scope of outcomes)? I wish you the best of luck, and remember (my) puffer credo: "When two puff tanks become one, have an extra tank waiting- lest two puffs become NONE!" 😉 Keep us posted and let us know what you decide to do, and what happens!
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown