Will my dwarf puffers eat their tank mate?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Clewliss
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States of America

Will my dwarf puffers eat their tank mate?

Post by Clewliss »

I'm just starting as a fish owner and I'm not so sure about my dwarf puffers. They are cute, but I have seen many things that make these little guys seem like devils. I want to know if my dwarf puffer will eat the rabbit snail I recently added. I have seen multiple videos of DPs swimming up near a snail and nipping at it to eat it. My puffers are occasionally swimming up to the rabbit snail (officially named Snailor Swift), but not picking at it. I DO NOT want my puffers eating this snail, but will they do it? I've been thinking maybe they're avoiding eating Snailor Swift because it's so active. This snail moves a lot compared to others I've seen. Anyway, can someone help me? I don't want to get too attached to Snailor if I have to get rid of it. :? :cry: :shock:
zombiefetus
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Illinois, USA

Re: Will my dwarf puffers eat their tank mate?

Post by zombiefetus »

yes.. they will 100% harass the snail until it dies and they will eat it, they'd probably also do the same to any other fish species. Puffers don't play well with others.

You should be feeding snails to your DPs already as well, they (and all puffers) need snails to keep their teeth from getting too long.
(^oops, domain expired! Current url is: http://greenspottedpuffer.webs.com)
Champlainer
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Lake Champlain

Re: Will my dwarf puffers eat their tank mate?

Post by Champlainer »

I personally seem to have found that DPs are the only puffers that don't need dental maintenance, but the odds say they are going to harass/kill that snail.