Congo Puffer info

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Hutcho
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Maitland, NSW, Australia

Congo Puffer info

Post by Hutcho »

Hi,

Im looking at getting a puffer, my first ever puffer, and have fallen in love with the Congo. Im wanting to get a bit more of an idea on what to expect and some advice on filtration. Whats the best method with a congo, do they like fast moving water etc? I know heavy filtration is a must. Deep sandy substrate is a must. Do they like live plants or will the burrowing uproot them? What is the best lighting to put in? Feeding, snails and hard shell foods are super important but will they take live prey? What sort of live prey? Is it better to feed frozen/dead prey?

Can anyone make any recommendations for care sheets i may not have found yet?

Sorry for the silly questions but im new to puffers and would rather have as much information to make sure i can provide a great home for one!

Thanks! :D
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Congo Puffer info

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I keep mine in a 15g tank with a driftwood overhang & lots of plants. About 2-3" of sand & stir well weekly, before water changes. They don't eat snails & I've never seen one with overgrown teeth. Hardest thing to do is get them on dead foods, as they are used to eating fish in the wild.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"