Dwarf puffer fry

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Sunflowerkitten
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Gulf shores, Alabama

Dwarf puffer fry

Post by Sunflowerkitten »

About a month ago I visited the LFS from hell....long story short, I impulsively bought a starving (nearly dead) pair of dwarf puffers. They were labeled as "baby F8s :roll: :roll: .but I have come to the conclusion they are dwarfs. They are currently in a 50 gallon, heavily planted tank with only 2 freshwater flounders, and a few snails and are the happiest little puffs :D :D Now that they are healthy, they are breeding. I have eggs on the undersides of my melon swords, and on my java moss. I would be thrilled to have a few survivors (50 gallons looks a little empty with just 2 DPs :lol: ) I am assuming the fry will have better chances in the planted tank? Not really sure if I should relocate the parents to a temporary holding tank until the fry are old enough or just let them be. Just wondering what others have had success with....any input, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated!
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Re: Dwarf puffer fry

Post by hadla »

Probably snail eggs unless you saw one laying them
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Dwarf puffer fry

Post by Pufferpunk »

I tend to agree with hadia, especially if laid on a leaf like that. I believe they like to scatter their eggs in Java moss. If they do breed for you, be sure to cover your filter intake with a sponge. Start making insofuria for them to eat. As you can imagine, the try are going to be tiny!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"