Dragon Puffer (Tetraodeon Palembangensis): Feeding

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Jfeld
Puffer Fry
Location (country): New Jersey United States

Dragon Puffer (Tetraodeon Palembangensis): Feeding

Post by Jfeld »

Hi,

Has any Dragon Puffer keeper had any success getting them to accept non-living food. I know they are coming out of the wild having no experience eating anything but live food. I tried for a week offering garlic soaked shrimp and krill and he just lets them bounce off his head and doesn't touch them. If I throw a minnow in, its gone in 15 seconds. He also has not yet gone for a couple of living rams horn snails I offered him.

thanks,
Jerry
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Dragon Puffer (Tetraodeon Palembangensis): Feeding

Post by Pufferpunk »

Have you read this?
library/feeding/problems-feeding-your-puffer/
Try live earthworms.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LadyHawk
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Congo Puffer (Tetraodon mirius)
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Minnesota, United States

Post by LadyHawk »

I had a heck of a time getting mine to eat anything other than minnows, but he seems to really love VitaChem. Anything I soak in that he's interested in. So he loves frozen shrimp now!! Good luck!
Jfeld
Puffer Fry
Location (country): New Jersey United States

Post by Jfeld »

Thanks, that is helpful, I will give that a try. Besides the minnows, I was expecting him to want to eat snails, but so far doesn't seem interested. Does yours eat snails?

thanks
J
LadyHawk
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Congo Puffer (Tetraodon mirius)
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Minnesota, United States

Post by LadyHawk »

I'm sorry - I don't have a Dragon; I have a Congo, which is related :) but mine does occasionally does suck snails off the glass. My Congo would only eat minnows - I tried earthworms and he was terrified of them! He refused anything soaked in garlic, shelled mussels, two types of raw shrimp, and shelled clams, and will only eat peeled shrimp if it's soaked in VitaChem. He also doesn't like anything dangly off his food - he tries to "blow" it away from his face and won't touch it. It took us a month and a half to get him to eat ANYTHING other than fish! Be patient and keep trying! We were at our wit's end! But the VitaChem was a lifesaver for us - it might work for you!