Maturation changes in tetraodon schoutedeni

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

Maturation changes in tetraodon schoutedeni

Post by astrid37 »

Hello All, new to the forum. This is a great resource for new puffer moms. Been trying to figure out if tetraodon schoutedeni experience eye color changes as they get older? Looks from videos and photos online that the older ones have red eyes and muted coloration on their backs?
Thanks so much.
P.S. We are trying to decide between colomesus asellus and the tetraodon schoutedeni, so if anyone has any insights, would appreciate it. :D
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Maturation changes in tetraodon schoutedeni

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I don't know anything about the schoutedeni but if you're planning on keeping SAPs, be ready to do regular dentistry on them.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
magpie
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Portland, OR

Post by magpie »

I don't think many people on this forum have kept them all that long to know the answer to your question... But I'll say that even the younger ones that I've seen, like mine at only about 2" have reddish eyes and the side pattern is more contrasty than the back.

What size tank are you thinking of using? Do you want to try tank mates or keep it species specific?

I don't know a lot about SAPs but my impression is that they are a far busier fish than the Schoutedini.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by astrid37 »

Thanks for the helpful replies! We are going to use a 40g breeder, heavy on the filtration, and were planning to keep species specific, maybe some tankmates. I have been doing research on what would be good tankmates, and there isn't much info out there in general. This forum has been helpful for that, too, and am always open to suggestions. Good to know about the SAPs, thanks!
lobowind
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Colomesus asellus
Tetraodon schoutedeni
Also kept:
Carinotetraodon salivator
Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Location (country): USA

Post by lobowind »

I have both species, and the SAPs are definitely busier than the schoutedeni. My SAPs are in a 110 gallon tank along with Choprae danio, Gossei cories, Super Red plecos, and some white clouds.

My schoutedeni are in a 40 gallon tank that also has Sterbai cories, a pleco, and white clouds in residence.

Both tanks have extra current.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by astrid37 »

I really want two separate tanks with SAPs in one and a schoutedeni in another, but we are in "discussions" in the household :). How many times a week do you have to do water changes with your schoutedeni in the 40g and what's the filtration like on your setup? That is awesome that they all get along well with those species. I have a soft spot for corys and plecos, so awesome that you can keep them together like that! Sounds like you have the two perfect tanks :). Thanks for the insight! Have you noticed your schoutedeni having red eyes as s/he gets older?
Smitty23
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Fahaka
Spotted Congo
Location (country): United States

Post by Smitty23 »

Mine still has red eyes only about 2 inches.
1 fahaka
1 spotted Congo
ISO Cross River Puffer Tetraodon Pustulatus!!!!!!! Please help!
magpie
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Portland, OR

Post by magpie »

Again, I don't have direct SAP experience, but I've read that to have a group of them and to have them seem happy they really should be in a 4+ foot tank, 55 gal minimum due to their activity level. (I take notes on fish I'm interested in and that's what I have next to them on my list. ;) )
Maybe others can confirm that?

If that is true then I'd go Schoutedini, with sand substrate, cories, and some schooling fish (for interest and movement).
Mine explores everywhere, but it is done with a slow pace while he deliberately looks for snails or things to eat hidden among the plants.

Where are you getting the information that adults look significantly different than the juvenile Schoutedini?
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by astrid37 »

My hubby kept mentioning it from what he had seen in videos and photos online, so I thought I would check with you all as the experts :). I have been working on him, hoping he lets me get my schoutedeni soon :lol: . I really want a mbu, too, just don't have a tank that could accommodate an adult puffer that size.
lobowind
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Colomesus asellus
Tetraodon schoutedeni
Also kept:
Carinotetraodon salivator
Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Location (country): USA

Post by lobowind »

astrid37 wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 8:43 pm How many times a week do you have to do water changes with your schoutedeni in the 40g and what's the filtration like on your setup?
That is awesome that they all get along well with those species. I have a soft spot for corys and plecos, so awesome that you can keep them together like that! Sounds like you have the two perfect tanks :). Thanks for the insight! Have you noticed your schoutedeni having red eyes as s/he gets older?

We do water changes on all of our tanks every 7-10 days. There are two sponge filters in the tank, and we also have a magnum 250 canister filter providing current.

My schouti's still have reddish eyes. All of the schoutedeni pictures in Ebert's book show them with reddish eyes.

The two types of puffers are very different in behavior. SAPs prefer to be in groups, and ideally, they should be in a tank at least 4 ft or longer. They love to swim back and forth and are constantly on the move. Schoutedeni are more sedentary.....not inactive, but they aren't energetic like SAPs. They explore plants, hunting around for snails. They are also more interactive with people than the SAPs.

I like the two species for different reasons. Oh, and unless your water is soft, you have to trim the SAPs teeth a couple of times a year.

Good luck!