Worm/Nematode?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Welly Puff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): New Zealand

Worm/Nematode?

Post by Welly Puff »

120 litre planted tank
25 degrees celsius
4 male 1 female Dwarf puffers
8 Bumblebee Gobies
1 Otto
I adopted this tank full of critters one month ago, they use to live together in a 50 litre.

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Feeding live...
Trumpet snails (crushed)
Pond snails
Mosquito larvae
Blood worms
Small earthworms (squished)
Frozen blood worms

Screwed up my cycle then had to do large water changes until I got hold of tetra safe start.

35 litre water change every 4-5 days.

Noticed small white ring, seems flat not raised, on my boy Bump a couple of weeks ago thought it may have been a bite. It then disappeared, this is the third place it has shown up. Now very possibly (with magnifying glass) looks like a worm? Spectacles, one of my other boys also has something similar above his left eye as of today. On April 25th -26th I treated them all in water (mostly as a precaution, my girl GG did have a lumpy tummy after eating but she is a piglet and Spectacles wasnt eating much) with a product called Avitrol Plus which is what is available in New Zealand containing Praziquantel and Levimosole. Anyhoo searched site and found Nematode pics but not exactly like what we have. So if it is Nematodes?, what I have now read in other posts is that is fairly much untreatable or unwise/risky to treat? Is that correct? Have I possibly already stuffed up by worming them in April? And should I now avoid reworming them?
Hopefully my attached pics will come through.
I appreciate your help.
Thanks.

DSC00899 - Copy.JPG
DSC00904 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Worm/Nematode?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Difference between a nematode & puffer bite is that the worm will leave a distinct circular lump.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Welly Puff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): New Zealand

Post by Welly Puff »

Does not look to be raised at all, but neither does it look like a divet/dent as I would think a bite would have also is not a full circle but c shaped or open ended. Thought my pic was pretty good, has anyone seen this before? or have an opinion on what it is? Also any opinions on wheather future worm treatment would be detrimental.
Thanks.
LadyHawk
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Congo Puffer (Tetraodon mirius)
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Minnesota, United States

Post by LadyHawk »

When I've kept multiple DPs in a tank (I had 1 male to three females), the male was constantly trying to "woo" the females with kisses and bumping. Eventually they would get fed up (especially the large female named Sassy) and bite him. There were a couple of bites that looked really weird but they all consistently had the "dip" like a shallow chunk had been taken out and after a few days they would heal up just fine. I don't know if that helps! I hope he heals quickly!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

The worm will absolutely look like a curved bump.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"