29 Gallon Puffer Tank

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
One Fish Two Fish
Puffer Fry
Location (country): US

29 Gallon Puffer Tank

Post by One Fish Two Fish »

Eventually, my mom will be switching her fish from her 29 gallon tanks to a bigger one, and one of the tanks will go to me. It is a well established freshwater tank, so I'd like it to stay freshwater, and not turn brackish or salt. I had quite a few fish, but only one puffer, which is a dwarf/pea puffer. I will be able to feed live neocaridina davidi, pond snails, and young mystery snails. I could also feed a wide variety of frozen foods. The tank has some wood, rocks, quite a few plants, a good layer of surface vegetation, and a sand bottom. The puffer would be the only fish in the tank. I would like an interactive puffer, who is relatively active (though not necessarily one that darts about). I would rather have one larger sized one than a group of smaller ones. Any ideas on a good puffer for my tank? Thank you
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: 29 Gallon Puffer Tank

Post by Pufferpunk »

A lot of your choice will depend on availability. Not many FW puffers available at most stores. Are you willing to pay for shipping of a single fish?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
lobowind
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Colomesus asellus
Tetraodon schoutedeni
Also kept:
Carinotetraodon salivator
Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Location (country): USA

Post by lobowind »

A tetraodon schoutedeni would work well, but you'd have to be prepared to spend $200 on a fish. It fits your criteria, though. Freshwater, interactive with you, relatively active in the tank. I'm not sure what you feel is a large enough fish, but with your tank being 29 gallons, a schoutedeni's size is probably as big as I would go for an active freshwater puffer in that tank size.
One Fish Two Fish
Puffer Fry
Location (country): US

Post by One Fish Two Fish »

Thank you, I am willing to pay shipping, but o live withinn an hour of the wet spot, so I will probably wait till they get what I want there. As for what I consider a large enough fish, mostly just something more than 5 cm, but a little larger would be perfered. I'm not looking for a fahaka or anything, just something that is somewhat significantly bigger than a pea puffer.
lobowind
Figure 8 Puffer
Tetraodon schoutedeni
Also kept:

Post by lobowind »

Schoutedeni are larger than pea puffers and are more active than the various freshwater lurkers. Mine are very interactive and beg all the time. They also don't require the dentistry that Colomesus asellus do. The schoutedeni have been a good addition for me because they allowed me to stay with freshwater tanks, are larger than pea puffers, interactive, and not as big as fahakas or mbus which require much larger tanks. With you being fairly close to Wet Spot, you might be able to check them out if you know they are getting a shipment of them.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I don't think a 29g is big enough for an active schoutedeni.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
lobowind
Figure 8 Puffer
Tetraodon schoutedeni
Also kept:

Post by lobowind »

A 29 gal is the smallest I would use for a schoutedeni. I think it would work just fine. Schoutedeni aren't as busy as SAPs, so they don't need quite as much length on the tank.