South American Puffer Not Eating Well

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
anustreasure
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

South American Puffer Not Eating Well

Post by anustreasure »

Hi all. I have a group of 6 juvenile (less than 1 inch big) SAPs in a species-only planted 75 gallon tank, with 2 75 gallon filters running. They will be upgraded when they get a bit bigger. All water parameters and temperature are great, and most of the fish are as well. I've had these little guys for almost 3 weeks now. Over the last 2-3 days, 1 of them is not eating nearly as much as his friends. He barely eats at all. They were purchased as a bonded group, and none the other fish pick on him. I've observed them non-stop with a camera set up and no one ever bothers him, he just seems like a loner all of a sudden. Everyone else is eating just fine, but they seem to eat everything before he gets to any. He seems intimidated all of a sudden, and only eats if all the other fish are on the other end of the tank. He isn't displaying any symptoms of being sick, he acts totally fine except when it comes to eating.

Should I keep him in the same tank with them and hope he starts eating regularly again, or should I put him in a different tank?

Thanks for any help!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: South American Puffer Not Eating Well

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
What do his teeth look like? They are #1 for needing constant dentistry in the puffer world.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
anustreasure
Puffer Fry

Post by anustreasure »

Pufferpunk wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:14 am [welcome]
What do his teeth look like? They are #1 for needing constant dentistry in the puffer world.
Forgot to mention that I checked that, oops. His teeth look great.
lobowind
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Colomesus asellus
Tetraodon schoutedeni
Also kept:
Carinotetraodon salivator
Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Post by lobowind »

I have one that tends to go off by himself more often than the others. On the flip side, he is the one that is the most interactive with me.