My Potential SAP Tank Mates

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
FishFood16
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England

My Potential SAP Tank Mates

Post by FishFood16 »

Let me explain, on this forum you might have seen me say I want a fahaka and a palembang. Well the fahaka can't happen because I live in a flat on the 4th floor :metal: the reason why is because I was paranoid that the tank will be far to heavy for the floor and a disaster would happen, potentially killing someone. (Prisoner) "So what did you get locked up for?" (Me) "For killing someone with a fish tank" lol. And the palembang, well its a lovely looking fish and its like the next step down from a fahaka but I'm put off because it's a lurker and doesn't really do anything all day but sit and wait for food. The tank will be in my living room and its my biggest tank 200l\44g so obviously I want it to be entertaining and also with the palembang there's a real chance of me getting bored, so I've decided I'm not taking that risk. Marine and brackish aren't an option since i don't want to faff around with mixing the saltwater. So I think it could well be 1 or maybe 3 SAP's as my first puffer. Ideally I wouldn't want anymore than that because I'm worried about me not being able to provide enough snails for them to munch on and file down there teeth, I've read they need them daily so that means I need to be able to pump a lot of them out. The tank I'll use for the snails will be a 100l so I'm not sure if that's ok for 3 SAP's?

Anyway on to the actual tank mates I would like.
Ctenopoma acutirostre x2
T bar cichlid x1
Purple Spotted Gudgeon x1

I know there is a sticky thread basicly saying I shouldn't bother and only do a species tank but if you go really far back through the pages you see a few threads regarding this topic. Let me know what you think.

Cheers.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Re: My Potential SAP Tank Mates

Post by hadla »

Yeah the whole dentistry thing is what put me off from ever getting them! It's times like this when I wish we had the puffer pedia. Have you thought about any of the red eye species?
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

The gudgeon will eventual be able to eat your puffers.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

hadla wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:05 am It's times like this when I wish we had the puffer pedia.
It's archived here (without photos :( ):
viewforum.php?f=38
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
FishFood16
Puffer Fry

Post by FishFood16 »

Why doesn't the pufferpedia get sorted out? I'm not familiar with that type of puffer, i would only want to keep them if they would fit into a community type set up, but I'm guessing they wouldn't. Kind of got my heart set on getting a Ctenopoma acutirostre.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=yua4kABueI4

Check the link out to watch the Ctenopoma padded up with SAP's.

I'm not super bother that the Gudgeon is out, kinda thought it might be a no no when I saw a video of one eating a rainbow fish.
hadla
Mbu Puffer

Post by hadla »

Shoot, I'd gladly add pics if I could tell the differences between species :/
hadla
Mbu Puffer

Post by hadla »

There aren't really any "community" fw species :(
lobowind
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Colomesus asellus
Tetraodon schoutedeni
Also kept:
Carinotetraodon salivator
Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Location (country): USA

Post by lobowind »

I have had SAPs in my community tank for years, but it's a 110 gallon tank. I also have schoutedeni in a 40 gallon tank with other fish, but I haven't had them very long to know how they will be over the long term.
FishFood16
Puffer Fry

Post by FishFood16 »

Pufferpunk wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:47 am The gudgeon will eventual be able to eat your puffers.
Yeah oops I've only just read they shouldn't be housed with fish of 3inch or smaller because they can reach 6-7inch and can eat fish half there size. I remember reading SAP's grow a little bigger in the wild, but can't remember what size they get to in the wild or even in an aquarium. I know I could do the research but it's a fly by comment and just to keeps the conversation rolling. Picked up a ctenopoma acutirostre today btw.
FishFood16
Puffer Fry

Post by FishFood16 »

lobowind wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:37 am I have had SAPs in my community tank for years, but it's a 110 gallon tank. I also have schoutedeni in a 40 gallon tank with other fish, but I haven't had them very long to know how they will be over the long term.
I think it's probably the 110g that's doing the trick. There's not many fish apart from monster fish that wouldn't be happy in a tank that size.
lobowind
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Colomesus asellus
Tetraodon schoutedeni
Also kept:
Carinotetraodon salivator
Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Location (country): USA

Post by lobowind »

In my opinion, SAPs seem happier in tanks that are at least 4 feet long. They are such active fish and use the full length of a tank. I first had a trio in a 3 feet long tank, and I could tell that they would just get started swimming the length to immediately having to turn and go the other way. A few weeks later, I transferred them to the 6 feet long, 110 gallon tank. There was a huge difference in behavior. They were able to speedily swim around. I have 6 in there now with extra current, and they live with Corydoras gossei and killies in there with them.