Tetraodon biocellatus.

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
nib79
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Italia

Tetraodon biocellatus.

Post by nib79 »

Hello guys, I would like to know if the tetraodon biocellatus you can breed in freshwater and brackish not condition. I have a 40 g with many plants, anubias and microsorum, and would like to insert 2 pieces. Thank you all.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Tetraodon biocellatus.

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
They have never been known to breed in captivity
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
nib79
Puffer Fry

Post by nib79 »

It would be my first experience with the puffer, I have bred many species, almost all wild. I would like to raise them to the best, I have a empty tub and already mature, planted with anubias and microsorum, brackish water before I could have clearly put the fish. If there was some kind of easier breeding would be fine, I'm open to suggestions.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

I found this paper on researchgate.net:

Spawning of eight Southeast Asian brackish and freshwater puffers of the genera Tetraodon and Carinotetraodon in captivity
Hiroyuki Doi · Harumi Sakai · Yusuke Yamanoue · Takayuki Sonoyama · Toshiaki Ishibash

There's a bit on the Figure 8 but essentially they started at 30% sea water for a couple of years and the salinity was reduced gradually, and at 9% sea water they spawned. They raised the fry at 7% sea water.

I didn't read anything to suggest that I couldn't quote from the paper and I'm not sure if it is a reputable source but it would be good to try to see if it works.
nib79
Puffer Fry

Post by nib79 »

Ok thanks for the time being, I'll start to salt water by this weekend. The only undecided at this point about the species, would also attracted by fluviatilis that at this time in Italy is easy. What about 40 g may be enough with a nice layout?
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Your tank would also be a good size for a T Fluviatilis especially if you are talking imperial gallons. The difference between the 2 species though is the salinity requirements, you will probably end up running in full marine with a T Fluviatilis rather than low brackish with a T Biocellatus.
Let us know what you choose!
nib79
Puffer Fry

Post by nib79 »

OK thanks, I think that having reached the desired salinity will buy t. Biocellatus. I could insert 2?
nib79
Puffer Fry

Post by nib79 »

Good evening, there is a table that facilitates the calculation of the amount of salt to be added to achieve the desired salinity? Making comparisons and an equivalence, it is for example in my case: 40 g to a salinity of 1,005 I calculated about 1,35 lb of salt. I don't know if it's right.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

nib79 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:13 pm OK thanks, I think that having reached the desired salinity will buy t. Biocellatus. I could insert 2?
You also have to cycle the tank: library/water-filtration/fishlessconsiderations/
Fins out what salinity the puffers are interested in are being kept at in the shop you will be buying them from & cycle at that SG.

nib79
Puffer Fry

Post by nib79 »

Thanks for all the advice, and I will contact the shopkeeper before buying the fish I think I'm going to put t.biocellatus 2/3 and 5 b.doriae. I will begin to put the salt a little at a time to achieve the desired salinity in 3/4 weeks. I'll keep you up-to-date.
nib79
Puffer Fry

Post by nib79 »

I contacted a shopkeeper at his disposal t.biocellatus, said they are 2/3 cm and keeps them in fresh water. I'm tempted to a herd in fresh and not brackish water. What do you recommend?
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Yeah cycle in fresh and then up the salinity a little during your 1st water change.