New modestus- different behavior?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Liz
Figure 8 Puffer

Re: New modestus- different behavior?

Post by Liz »

Hypothetically, if you leave the puff in that concentration of clove oil will he eventually die if you take took long or he stays in it too long? or is that amount actually safe? Is the need to rush to avoid death or permanent injury in the clove oil, or is it because he will soon wake up?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, it will eventually die or suffer permanent brain damage. I've had both happen in my earlier years.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
PYRU
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by PYRU »

Your right there watching. Anything done with fish like this should be done in a timely accurate manner due to a variety factors. When I worked a little too slow the fish would start to come to.

This is the same method I use to euthanize to. As soon as the fish goes out add more and o.d.

My 2c on what I've personally done. Read up and determine what you think is the best way.
nmonks
Mentor
My Puffers: Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Colomesus asellus

Post by nmonks »

Whatever you do, don't rush. It takes a minute for the puffer to be sedated. Assuming wet hands (so you don't damage the fish) and some degree of physical competence with the cuticle clippers, the tooth trimming of a small puffer takes 30 seconds. Even a minute shouldn't harm a healthy fish provided it stays wet. Return the fish to a bowl of aquarium water without eugenol, or better yet, to a wet net immersed in the home aquarium near some type of water flow (bubbles, filter outlet, etc.). You'll find it'll perk up in a couple minutes, at which point release and observe for a while.

Rushing is much more of a risk. Cutting the skin of the fish would be bad, dropping it would be bad, manhandling too severely would be bad!

Cheers, Neale
Liz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Liz »

Good point, thanks. Anyone have a guesstimate as to how often a modestus' teeth need to be trimmed? I know it probably varies a lot based on diet, but is there like a typical sort of idea? I might have to have my husband do the trimming, my hands are not as steady as they could be because of some medicine I take.

The LFS had them for a while, but I am not sure how long. He doesn't seem interested in hunting just eating flakes from the top of the tank, so I am wondering if maybe his teeth are already a little overgrown. He is pretty small though and it is hard for me to see.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

4-6 months
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"