Introducing new puffer to the rest of the "herd"

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
spagettie113
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA, Pacific Northwest, Washington State

Introducing new puffer to the rest of the "herd"

Post by spagettie113 »

I sent my daughter down to the local fish store to pick up some live bloodworms...mission accomplished but she brought a "surprise" (Dwarf Pea Puffer) home with her. Any suggestions on how to introduce him to the tank? IM A NERVOUS WRECK! I have a 28 gallon Bow front tank and the only occupants are my original two Dwarf Pea Puffers...I bought them both at the same time almost a year ago and they get along really well. From what I understand, they can be really aggressive with other fish even their own species...some say keep them solitary, while other say they do fine in groups of their own?

After acclimating him accordingly, I released him to the tank but I dont know if it was going good or bad....the larger of the originals (we'll call him A) chased the new one (C) ALOT, but they werent like in a high speed chase as if C was running for his life. But sometimes when they would get in contact, A would bump? C maybe? I dont THINK A was biting C, but honestly I have a hard time really telling because of the bowed front glass and they move around so much. It seemed like A was often trying to rub bellies with C?? I havent noticed C exhibiting anything other than just trying to ignore A. The smaller original (B) has been really agreeable about the whole situation. B is the smallest, like 1/3ish size of A, and 2/3ish size of C but hes not timid of either, just kinda happy go lucky. Theyve been in the tank together for a little over an hour now, but every has been consistent in their behavior. Sorry for rambling, I love my fish and just want to make sure everyone is safe. Sometimes Im so sure that "oh, A isnt being aggressive at all" and other times it seems like he is. Does anyone have any expierience with what Im stressing on lol? How long will this meet and greet behavior continue and what are some !!!! I should be watching for?

Again sorry for the ramble

PS, I do have lots of live plants in the tank :)
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

Re: Introducing new puffer to the rest of the "herd"

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

Welcome! Have you read up on figuring the gender aka: sexing the fish? Sounds like you have a female and two males? Or visa Versa. The easiest way to tell boys from girls is a: size- females are larger with rounder bellies and b:-eye wrinkles that are iridescent and look like little creases or wrinkles behind the eyes is tell of a male.
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown
lobowind
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Colomesus asellus
Tetraodon schoutedeni
Also kept:
Carinotetraodon salivator
Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Location (country): USA

Post by lobowind »

Remove all three puffers and place in a holding tank or plastic bin with water in it while you rearrange their present tank. Move their driftwood, plants, rocks, etc. into different places, so when you place the three back in the tank, it is essentially a "new" tank for them, and they will stake out new territories. When you added your new puffer, it was essentially invading the others' territories. By rearranging the tank, they will pick new territories.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You can rearrange their tank without removing/stressing the puffers.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"