Tetraodon Schoutedeni

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
magpie
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Portland, OR

Re: Tetraodon Schoutedeni

Post by magpie »

As far as sexing, in the one link that someone posted a page or two back it says this:
The males seem to show a more contrasting pattern and to have longer snouts.

I guess we'll all just have to post photos and compare them, hopefully Pufferpunk's 3 have both male and female to help better ID.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

magpie wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:05 amYayyyyyy!
Unfortunately, I have recently seen too many pleco deaths in my tanks to add new fish at this time. I just hope they continue to stock these fish.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
magpie
Puffer Fry

Post by magpie »

Bummer.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm leaving for a week in June. Better to purchase new fish when I get back.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

lobowind
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Colomesus asellus
Tetraodon schoutedeni
Also kept:
Carinotetraodon salivator
Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Location (country): USA

Post by lobowind »

magpie wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:14 am I removed a ton of the MTS out of my tank and bought a bunch of ramshorns and threw them in my Betta tank. Am hoping that they'll reproduce there but am not sure?

I am off to read more about feeding. Do you guys generally feed every other day? That's how I feed the rest of my tank. How much do you feed? I know snails should be about the size of their eye - do you feed one snail per day? Doesn't seem like much but I don't want to overfeed either.

My bettas would eat snails, so I'm not sure you'll end up with a good supply. The betta might thank you, though. :)

I feed the schoutedeni every day, but I have 3 together, so I'm keeping a steady feeding program to reduce any competition among each other for food. If I'm feeding snails, they get 3 each at their small size. For other foods, I use a turkey baster and add a little bit at a time and watch how much their bellies are filling. I try and keep the fish lightly plump.

I think you're going to enjoy your new addition.
lobowind
Figure 8 Puffer
Tetraodon schoutedeni
Also kept:

Post by lobowind »

If anyone is looking for this fish or a few other puffer species, I've posted in the Classified section the available species and contact information for AquaticClarity.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

:0! $700 for three fish shipped to you?! Holy effing isht. My husband would kill me! Lol but now y'all make me want one! Will keep checking that site for captive bred, thanks!
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
lobowind
Figure 8 Puffer
Tetraodon schoutedeni
Also kept:

Post by lobowind »

Mine came to $375 for the 3 fish plus $70 overnight shipping.
magpie
Puffer Fry

Post by magpie »

Well, it did not work out, I am REALLY sad to say. I thought I should post here for anyone interested in the species - I would recommend purchasing with cautious optimism and an immediate backup plan just in case.

I noticed a couple of nipped fins on two of my bichirs (Polli and Teugelsi), but had been watching and had seen no indications of anything out of the ordinary... so tried to calm down about it. I had read about puffers "trying" something to see if it was food and was hoping that maybe that had happened at night.

Went out of town for a few days, came back last night. No one looked horrible, but then I specifically saw the puffer go over to the Polli and chomp on her tail. So needless to say he's in the 10 gallon right now.

I don't know why he specifically was going after the Polli and Teug. Maybe because they are more active? (But the Polli was sitting still when he chomped her tail.) Maybe because both have some spotted patterns? The Delhezi and Mokelembembe bichirs, butterfly fish, tetras, and plecos (one is spotted) are completely unscathed.

Whatever the reason, he can't be in my 65 gallon tank. I think it would have been fine in a tank without those specific 2 fish. It seemed happy in my heavily planted tank, loved exploring and hunting for snails.

ARGH! So now I have to figure out what to do and when. He can't live in the 10 gallon long-term. What do you think is a good lifetime size tank?
magpie
Puffer Fry

Post by magpie »

Just a quick side note, it really quickly took to eating from tongs, and I recommend training them to do this. I started doing this with live blackworms and then was able to get him to try frozen shrimp and frozen silversides from the tongs.

Everything was working soooo well except for those two fish which he wasn't a fan of. :cry:
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

:0 sorry to hear that! I'll definitely keep only one with no tankmates
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
AdamSafi
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Also kept:
Schoutedeni Puffer
Fahaka Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer
Dwarf Pea Puffer
Figure 8 Puffer
Dragon Puffer
Hairy Puffer
Target Puffer
Red eyed red tail Puffer
Red eyed Puffer
Congo Puffer
Location (country): Delaware, USA

Post by AdamSafi »

My Schoutedeni Puffer is really peaceful, I even have a Discus with it and they get along pretty well and a bicher as well, I don't know how your Puffer got really aggressive
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Seems to be hit-or-miss with this species then. Better percentage of getting a "nice" puffer than the fahaka but still--you can never trust a puffer!

lobowind
Figure 8 Puffer
Tetraodon schoutedeni
Also kept:

Post by lobowind »

magpie wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 11:35 am Went out of town for a few days, came back last night. No one looked horrible, but then I specifically saw the puffer go over to the Polli and chomp on her tail. So needless to say he's in the 10 gallon right now.

ARGH! So now I have to figure out what to do and when. He can't live in the 10 gallon long-term. What do you think is a good lifetime size tank?

Were you feeding them daily up to the time you went out of town? If you weren't, you could try it.

I would think a 30 g tank (or more) would work for a lifetime tank.
magpie
Puffer Fry

Post by magpie »

I feed every other day, but there were snails for him and he was working on them. :) I had noticed that the fins were nipped before I went out of town, I just hadn't witnessed it so was hoping it was a "what's that? oh, oops. nothing to eat." I prefer every other day feeding for fish health and water quality, so if feeding daily is what would fix things he's just better off in his own tank. (And again, he did have access to snails. Plus, I will every once in a while go out of town and dont' want to stress.) I don't want to risk it again - my bichirs lived there first and that tank is completely peaceful.

He currently seems happy in my densely planted 10 gallon. Still readily eating from tongs and taking snails that I throw in there for him. I'm looking for upgrades on CL and will just upgrade everyone in this tank along with him. I might start with a 20 because we are moving at the end of the year and then upgrade the tank one more time after the move if you think that's not sufficient for life.

In the 10 gallon, however, he is not bothering anyone, including chili rasboras, scarlet badis, two leftover hockeystick pencilfish, and a sole pygmy cory that I saved from a work tank. He's probably taking shrimplets but not attacking the big shrimp (at this point). I've watched him right next to the adults and not go for them.

Overall other than the couple of fish that he nipped he didn't bother anyone. And one of my big Congos had long flowing fins that were tempting looking IMO. ;) So I would still consider him peaceful for a puffer. I'd personally recommend them with tetras and other such fish. The cory seems fine, too. And he actually didn't bother my 2 plecos either.

I'd just be cautious with a back up plan for anything bichir or eel-like due to my experience. Maybe their tails looked like worms?