Help pick the puffer for this tank!

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

Help pick the puffer for this tank!

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

I am new here and have found myself in quite a silly predicament!

I went into the store with every intention of buying a 20 gallon long to house a red eye puffer or 2 one day when I find them. I have kept Bettas for a long time and when I saw this discontinued tank, my instincts took over. I get home, look in the trunk, and exclaim "WHAT did I do? This isn't going to work for my puffer-I have to replan!"

Tank: Mr Aqua serene 12g Long
Dimensions: 35.4 in x 8.3 in x 9.4 in

I was hoping for input on what to put in this tank? Are pea puffers my only option? Or do O need to return it?
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
SIP Orchid

Re: Help pick the puffer for this tank!

Update: my nerves got the best of me and I returned the Mr Aqua 12g long tank. It was not practical for what I wanted, and have put so much heart heading down the puffer path, that it makes no sense to waffle now!

Replacement:20 gallon long
(Also purchased a glass hinged lid for it)
Dimensions: 30.3" x 12.5" x 12.8"

HOWEVER: I have decided if I can not get what my heart desires by fall then I am moving on bc I have really become invested in owning a puffer(s)! I would still love stocking ideas for alternate puffers suited for this new 20g long tank, so that I can decide on my alternate and research/learn/prepare as much as possible.

I'm even falling for the sap but I have read @pufferpunk's feeling on homing one in this size tank and frankly agree- they need much more swimming space!

I am also very limited on space- so upgrading is not an option. I already run: a 5.5g for snails and shrimp (future puff food), 2 10g's: 1 unoccupied but cycled for media etc (will be quarantine, then hospital tank once puffer(s) home), and other 10g w/female betta... and now this 20 long!

Filtration: I also picked up my very first aqua clear 50 (hob) filter. It's rated 200gph, wich is exactly 10 times my volume p/h, wich is what my research says I will need for these messy bessy's! I have also been told this is one of the best economy HOB's on the market, and this one is rated for 20-50g's. Was this a good choice of should I have gotten the AC 70 (rated for 40-70 gal & 300gph? I also have an ATI hydro sponge filter 2 (the best sponge filter out there, hands down) I will be using in the tank for biological and mechanical filtration redundancy.

Lighting: none yet. Wasn't planning on anything fancy, as I'll most likely be working with low-med light plants. Was thinking a beamswork led or something comparable... unless there's a reason to buy higher quality lighting?

Any recomendations on plants and aquascaping would be deeply appreciated. Thanks again for any help!
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

You could have up to 2 dwarf puffers or a shrimp tank?
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

I'd say around 4 dps if you have enough plants in there... I've never had a group of dps that didn't stay near each other.
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Dps are comical little things! Once I had like 6 in a 20 and I was sitting next to the tank reading. They're all hiding behind a piece of driftwood scared of this big thing near the tank. All of a sudden, one dashed out like the others pushed him out! It's like they wanted him to check me out to make sure I wasn't a threat to them!
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
pufferjkb
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada -Halifax, NS

Post by pufferjkb »

A book I have on fish cognition says this is something some fish species do when faced with some unfamiliar thing.

If the inspector fish survives the inspection it gains status with its shoal mates which can help with mating status etc.
LadyQuin
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Usa

Post by LadyQuin »

A single Avacado puffer would work for that tank and in my limited experience they are easier to keep and hardier than dp. Though fair warning they are slightly brackish and mine likes something to be changed in his tank every two weeks, a new plant, rearranged decorations. Otherwise he gets bored and a bit depressed and just hides in his cave. Just tossing that out there as another idea that would work for your setup potentially.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Modestus puffers are NOT brackish fish, they are strictly FW. They also are known for needing regular dentistry.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
SIP Orchid

I have decided to stop being a sissy about the teeth. I have taken on worse, I've birthed children ;) lol My fears should not keep me from enjoying any species (so long as I can meet all the other needs of the fish). As such, I have decided to find some ms222 (not very easy to locate), and do my research on puffer dentistry. And honestly, no matter the size of puffer there is always a slim chance the teeth could need work- so I must be prepared for all possibilities to be the best parent that my puffer(s) deserve!

Also- what is the best tool to buy for the cutting, I read cuticle cutters are good, but what size (they come in 3) and what brand? Drug store ones, or do you get them from a lfs?
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Drug store--LFS would have no idea what you're talking about!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"