Pogo the plant killer

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A

Pogo the plant killer

Post by DDR2 »

This isn't a question, just a fair warning to anyone with a tank full of expensive (or cheap) live plants. Over the last six months I've watched my plants disappear. It's never been a mystery. Everyone in the house has seen it happen. Pogo (abei) sees food and goes for it. If the plant is in the way, it gets pruned. The last few months he's just killing them for no reason. He just swims up to them, turns on his side, and either bites them off at the base or uproots them. If i re-plant the uprooted
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer

Re: Pogo the plant killer

Post by DDR2 »

Sorry. Unfinished post. My bumbling mitts don't play well with tiny touch screens. Takes forever just to type this out without endless typos and misspellings.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sometimes with puffers, it's best to have fake plants or none at all.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer

Post by DDR2 »

His personality makes all the malevolent behavior totally worth it. I've had plenty of foul natured fish and reptiles, but none this intelligent.
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

I have been giving great thought to abei's as of late, would you mind sharing your puffers personality? What's the hardest part of taking care of this species? And the most rewarding? How large has yours gotten? Is it true they only get up to 4 inches in aquaria?
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer

Post by DDR2 »

He's about 5". Hardest things about him are that he's a little bit picky (that could just be mine ), and his personality. He's destructive. He's aggressive and predatory so no tank mates. He will bite the hand that feeds him, so learn to keep one eye on him when you're working in the tank or near the surface.The most rewarding thing is his personality. He changes color based on his mood. He watches t.v. and videos on my phone. He watches me. In the dark. From the shadows. They are called lurking predators. It won't be a very active fish, if that's what you're after. What it will do is watch your every move from a dark corner of it's tank thinking of what it's going to do when it finally gets a hold of you. If that sounds like your fish you're all set. And they're really pretty, too, if that matters.