Need some reinforcement on DPs

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Zawse
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Texas

Need some reinforcement on DPs

Post by Zawse »

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I have taken great interest to being a possibly DP owner. My experience with this hobby is only having some cories and other bottom feeders as well as gold fish. I have tried to take care of 2 F8s in the past, but they all died due to my lack of knowledge about their sensitive bodies and need for clean water to live in. I initially wanted to try F8s or GSPs, but I saw the DPs and man do they look cute!

My plan is to have 2 DPs together in the tank

I have read around on the forum, including PP's guides on puffer fish. However I want some thinks to reinforce myself on when taking on the task of taking care of these fish.

Currently I have a 10 gal. tank that I have used over the years that has a LED light top, it has sand (Exo Terra Riverbed Sand Brown Aquatic Terrarium Substrate) (I had a softshell turtle at one point in time...) and numerous fake plants that I have used. As well as an Aquaclear powerfilter (20 size).

In regards to the items I have already, would you recommend me to replace any and/or add?

I do have a list in mind in what materials I need:
- Fishless cycling items (Ammonium, nitrate, testing kits, Hydrometer)
- Heater - thermometer too~

I intend to use the guide for the fishless cycling from PP when I have everything prepared... and I believe this will take a month perhaps in prep?

Now onto the questions:
1.) When doing weekly water changes, you are supposed to take 50-75% out and replace it with water... is this water already cycled? or what water do you use to replace the water that you take out?
2.) How long will ^ take, as well as how long do you have to keep the DPs out of the tank until it's "ready" to go?
3.) When doing this ^ do you just move the little guy into a smaller tank, or possibly a smaller container for the time being while you water change?
4.) Is there any special care other than water changes I have to give that are immediate to the DPs?

This is all I can think of on the spot... I might be asking a bit much :redface: ,but I really want to make this a success! If you guys have any other information that I haven't covered quite yet, feel free to tell me! I want to be a proud and good owner to these little guys!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Need some reinforcement on DPs

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
The bacteria that cycles a tank (nitrifying bacteria) is found on surfaces. Very little is in the water column. Tap water treated with Prime at the same temperature as the tank is fine.
Fish stay in the tank. Just stir the substrate, let the dirt settle & siphon off the bottom.
You must not add the fish, until the tank is fully cycled.
Please do not use the sand from your turtle. They carry a great deal of bacteria that is not compatible with fish.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Zawse
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Texas

Post by Zawse »

I see... So if you could lay out an entire plan for a brand new puffer set up, what would be the steps be? A totally clean slate for a new tank. I'm the type of person that needs it to be broken down and explained step by step... sorry if it seems like I need to be spoon fed, but I prefer to be thorough than go in with only half confidence and knowledge... lots of research upcoming ... :lol:

Thank you for answering my questions. It clears a lot of my possible questions in the future.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

There are plenty of step-by-step videos on Youtube on how to set up a tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"