New to Puffers: 40 gallon tank and Dwarf Puffers

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
KlugeKrake
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

New to Puffers: 40 gallon tank and Dwarf Puffers

Post by KlugeKrake »

So, I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that has recently been emptied since I sold my axolotl that was living in it. I was thinking puttinf in cichlids, but a 40 gallon just seems to be too small for a happy cichlid community. SO, I have moved on to puffers, particularly Dwarf Puffers. I've heard that they have good personalities (which is what drew me to cichlids originally), and as I look into them more, I'm starting to gain some real interest. Theres a lot of scattered information about their care, but ai just want some good advice in one spot. What are the best water parameters for them, and how many of what sex would work in a 40? What size filter (rated for how many gallons) would you suggest for the 40 breeder? What plants? I've heard Java Moss, which I will gladly obtain, but what else? What about substrate? I have sand currently, but would you suggest a special substrate for the plants? I have live plants in my 29 gallon without any special substrate and they grow fine, so I'm a little more worried just about what the puffers would prefer. And then what lighting do they prefer? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I've put a lot of time into looking for forums/threads tailored to dwarf puffers and have come up with either varied info or not the exact info I was looking for. I just want to know what I'll need to make my 40 a puffer paradise!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New to Puffers: 40 gallon tank and Dwarf Puffers

Post by Pufferpunk »

Although I disagree that a 40g isn't perfect for certain cichlid species, here is info on DPs:
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... uffercare/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"