Dwarf Puff in college

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
xShadowDrift
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Dwarf Puff in college

Post by xShadowDrift »

Hi, So I am at home right now working full time for credit, I go to school 2 hours away and am thinking about getting a tank. I move back to school in March. Here is what i'm looking at, don't know if it is too much to tackle and I would love your input:
  • 5-10 gallon tank either a fluval chi or a 10 gal i have at home.
    1-2 dwarf puffers respectively
    dirted tank preferable with soil and either a sand or gravel cap, 1inch dirt 1 inch cap
Since dwarf puffer seem to enjoy eating a snails/live food I was thinking about having a smallish snail culture for feeding
  • fish bowl with little to no substrate (mby a bit of leftover gravel or sand from the cap) put in sunlight
Thing is I will be in school for 15 months when I get back and will have to move at least 1 time.
How well do dwarf puffers do in travel?
Would they be able to survive a 2 hour car ride in bag? in my hands?
nikkiv13
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Indiana, USA

Re: Dwarf Puff in college

Post by nikkiv13 »

I actually have some experience with this! I established a 20 gallon freshwater tank for 3 DPs at home over the summer and was able to transfer it to my dorm room at university 3 hours away (side note: my dorm's pet rule was no more than one non-carnivorous fish in a tank 10 g or under... oops ;). I ended up getting two five gallon buckets with lids and splitting my decor and fish into the two buckets, and put a battery powered air stone in each. I also kept the box my tank came in and used that to help stabilize the tank for transport. I moved my fish into university, back home after the school year, and once more into my apartment for grad school an hour away and had no issues whatsoever, all my fish were happy and healthy and my tank stayed in one piece. I don't think you would have any issues doing something similar with a 5-10 g setup