Dwarf puffers and caring for live blackworms

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
jessie424
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Dwarf puffers and caring for live blackworms

Post by jessie424 »

Hello,
I've FINALLY gotten my dwarf puffers. The LFS wasn't able to get them for about six weeks. I had purchased live blackworms for them about six weeks ago and have managed to keep them alive in a 5.5 gallon bare bottom tank with small sponge filter and small HOB. I'm planning to upgrade to a larger sponge filter and nix the HOB. The tank is fully cycled now and I've added a ton of floaters to help with nitrates (doesn't help much). I rarely feed them because the nitrates are out of control. My concern is if I'm feeding the puffers healthy and nutritious food. I've read many places to keep the worms in a cooler environment to slow metabolism of the worms. Anyways, can I soak the worms in vitamins or garlic guard without killing them? The DPs don't look like they have parasites but I'm new to puffers. The dwarf puffers LOVE them and they're fun to feed. My LFS doesn't carry blackworms and they were quite expensive for them to order so I'd like to keep them alive and healthy for as long as possible.

Side note, I'm setting up a 40 breeder for a brackish F8. I'll post about it in the brackish forum later.

Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Dwarf puffers and caring for live blackworms

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have been keeping blackworms alive for feeding for the past 40 years. Keep them in a in the fridge, in a Coolwhip container with holes on top, with only enough water to cover them. Rinse daily in a brine shrimp net. I add ground flakes & plankton & also Vita-Chem to their soaking water.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
jessie424
Puffer Fry

Post by jessie424 »

What about garlic guard? They don't look like they have parasites but I'd rather err on the side of caution.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Wouldn't hurt.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

jessie424
Puffer Fry

Post by jessie424 »

Awesome! You're the best!
jessie424
Puffer Fry

Post by jessie424 »

Pufferpunk:
So, the dwarf puffers are gobbling up those blackworms and it's time for me to order some more. Do I need to do anything with the worms to ensure they are disease free? I order the from my LFS who get them from Segrest Farms, largest fish wholesaler in the Southeast, possibly all of the US. Where do you get yours from?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

There are none to be found in my small town of SC (moved here from Chicago 16 months ago). I believe my LFS back there got them from California Blackworms. I always check that they are bright red. No gray/dead worms.