Breeding snails in a sump

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Boreas
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Breeding snails in a sump

Post by Boreas »

I'm exploring the idea of keeping a Fahaka Puffer in my new tank. 160 Gallon 48" x 30" x 24".

My sump will have a large refugium that will have fast growing plants. I just had the idea of keeping a breeding population of snails or cloning crayfish in this section as feeders for the Fahaka.

My concern would be the constant smell of prey items in the water driving the Fahaka crazy. Is this a valid concern? Has this ever been done?
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A

Re: Breeding snails in a sump

Post by DDR2 »

My biggest concern would be small snails getting into and potentially fouling the return pump. I've thought of doing this myself, but, we have monthly issues with it in one of our largest sumps at the lfs I work at. And that's with a much larger pump. Once they're in there and any return lines, there's really no getting them out.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

It's always best to keep prey breeding tanks in a seperate system. They add bio-load for one good reason. A small snail breeder tank will produce a surprising amount if kept clean and fed correctly
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A

Post by DDR2 »

I think a better idea might be to plant your sump. I built a basket out of plastic construction cloth, filled it with clay pebbles made for hydroponics, and planted it with peace lilies. A small compact flourescent light over head and your all set. Black out the stand to keep light from shining out if you wish. They'll grow fast, eating up nitrates, and I cut half out every month. A tank full of well fed predators with no nitrate or phosphate on minimal maintenance. It can be done.