Bloated DP gravid or something else

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Fractured
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Bloated DP gravid or something else

Post by Fractured »

I have 3 DPs in a planted 55g. Two turned out to be males, one female. My female for several weeks has been much, *much* fatter the the males. After feeding she looks like she's about to pop. She hasn't been acting I'll at all. Feeding is normal, high level of curiosity, no lingering at the bottom of the tank other than usual exploring. I bought them very young and have had them for about 8 months now. Before feeding, her belly is symmetrically rounded. After, it looks a little lumpier. Diet is brine shrimp with occasional bloodworms, and a snail or two or three when the LFS has them come in on plants. Earlier in the week, she and the dominant male seemed to be exhibiting pre-spawning behavior. If the bloated look hadn't been going on for so long, I might think that she's gravid, but the length of time concerns me. Neither of the males are any fatter than they should be. They're housed with 3 corys, 3 otos, and 9 small tetras. No other fish appear I'll on any way, and the tank was well established before adding the puffers. Water parameters are ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates between 20 and 40, depending on the days between WCs. Does anyone think it's normal for her to be so fat for so long, or could she be gravid, or does irlt seem something else is up? The la k of issues with any of the other fish just makes it weird.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: Bloated DP gravid or something else

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about, she might just eat more than the boys?...