New Aquarium Setup

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Andy01329
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

New Aquarium Setup

Post by Andy01329 »

Hi,
I have been looking at the possibility of keeping puffers in a new tank I am planning out.

I have a tank that I am currently in the process of setting up which is a 180 liter tank with dimensions of 101cm, 41cm wide, 55cm high.

What I was looking at was the possibility of a Amazonian Puffer setup but I'm concerned about size. I hear the general recommendation is 15 gallons per fish so I wouldn't be able to have 3, and at most would be able to have 2. Is this too little puffers to keep them interested or will 2 be ok together.

After reading about these lovely fish it seemed to me a good idea to have a couple of puffers and maybe one catfish especially since the puffers are such messy eaters.

So would two Amazonian and a Catfish be ok for a 180, or am I pushing my tank too much for this setup?

I apologise now for what could be silly questions, but I would like to be sure these fish are going to be happy. As such I thought asking the question would be a good idea.

Thanks...
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: New Aquarium Setup

Post by bertie 83 »

Not silly questions at all. Welcome to the forum. Personally I don't agree with Amazon puffers in short tanks as I had a nightmare with mine constantly pacing, it drove me insane. Ended up in a 5 foot. They need constant hard foods and regular teeth trimming too. Not a stress free fish to keep imo. Have you thought about dwarf puffers, figure 8 puffers ( brackish) or even green spotted puffers ( high brackish). As some readily available options or some of the other freshwater puffers ( abei, leirus etc)
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly