Dwarf Puffer fish setup (new)

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
bluewhale
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Dwarf Puffer fish setup (new)

Post by bluewhale »

Hi I am new to keeping puffer fish and keeping live aquarium plants. I have not bought all the equipment yet as I wanted to double check if this would be the right set up or not. I know that dwarf puffers need a good filter, but I'm not sure if the 50 would be too much. I plan to spend at least 1-2 months cycling using the ammonia fishless cycle method. Because this would be my first planted tank and first puffer tank I'm unsure if I should try a live planted tank or just get a lot of fake silk plants and hiding places. I planned to get hiding places even if I do get live plants though. I'm currently unsure of lighting mainly due to the fact I'm not sure if I am going with a planet or non-planted tank.

I also plan to cycle another tank and breed small snails such as ramshorn snails. I also plan to try to also feed them frozen bloodworms if I can get them to eat the frozen food. I plan to ask my LFS what they feed the dwarf puffers they stock since depending on what it is that could work too. I plan to get 3-4 puffers once the tank is full cycled. I do not plan to house any other fish in the tank with the puffers. I also plan to use driftwood if I go with a planted tank. This would be a brand new tank as currently I am not running any other fish tanks.

20 Gallon tank
Aquaclear power filter 50 or 30
Aqueon pro heater 100 watt

Plants (If I go with a live planted tank) If you have other plant recommendations on top of these two. I am open to suggestions.
Java moss
Java Fern
CaribSea Eco-Complete (If I go with a planted tank) I'm open to other substrate suggestions. Or should I just do sand and add things to the water for extra nutrients.

Any suggestions, tips or recommendations on equipment or set up would be great.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: Dwarf Puffer fish setup (new)

Post by Welch4 »

Lineup sounds good so far. I would go with the 50. Additionally I highly recommend getting a few fluval edge prefilters. This will go over the intake and greatly reduces maintenance. If going with live plants definitely go with the a soil substrate not sand. Some ither good beginner plants would be anubias or cryptocorene. Any variations as long as they fit the size of the tank.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Readricx
Puffer Fry
Location (country): canada

Re: Dwarf Puffer fish setup (new)

Post by Readricx »

This information can also be the source of some channels.