Fahaka puffer no eating

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
NorCal408
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Fahaka puffer no eating

Post by NorCal408 »

I had my fahaka puffer in a 125 gallon tank with cichilids. He started getting too agressive and put him in a smaller tank and now he doesn't want to eat and his color has changed. The water is clean and he usually eats krill I don't know what the problem is, I mean I don't want to have to get rid of him. Is there anything I can do? I was thinking that he's just teething but this is my first puffer. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fahaka puffer no eating

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
How large is the puffer? What-sized tank is he in now? Is it heavily decorated? What are the parameters? How did you cycle this new tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
NorCal408
Puffer Fry

Post by NorCal408 »

He's in a 13x20x13in tank that has an over hang marine land filter for up to 30 gallons per gph 100. There are some decorations in the tank with small tan bark substrate for plants. His color has changed slightly. He's not doing much of anything. He was getting really agressive towards my cichilids and is about 7in long. I usually feed him krill, live food, worms and shrimp. He was doing ok until recently when I lowered the ph thinking it'd be best for him. Once again he was getting real agressive and have had him for a while so don't want to get rid of him.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

He needs a much larger tank for starters, 125g by himself minimum. This is one of the most aggressive fish on the market so he needs to be alone. How was his tank cycled? Don't mes with ph stable is better than fluctuating so long as extremes are avoided.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

A 7" fish in a 14g tank??? You need to do something IMMEDIATELY about this! Can you return the cichlids to a store? Were you not aware of his aggression when you purchased him?

No reason to mess with pH. Fish can adjust to any pH, it's the pH swings that are detrimental for them. Just keep it stable with weekly 50% WC. If i was moved from a roomy house to a closet, I might not feel like eating, either.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

NorCal408
Puffer Fry

Post by NorCal408 »

Well I got him out of the small tank and put him in my much bigger tank and he's doing ok. Not showing too many signs of agression. I guess for now I'll just keep an eye on him and probably look find him a better home. If you guys know of some forums I can post him on it be much appreciated. Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »