DP Aquarium Setup Update (and bonus pet store employee rant)

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
SRDudez
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States of America

DP Aquarium Setup Update (and bonus pet store employee rant)

Post by SRDudez »

Hey guys, I've got an update since my last post a few days ago (http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=35549). For one, I rearranged the plants since last time, and added another one. But before I start, I want to share an experience I just had. I bought all of my supplies at a local Petco last weekend, and had a really nice representative help me. Even though he wanted to rush it and get the DP in within 3 days of filling the tank, I can't hold that against him. I could do it, I suppose, but I've read a fishless cycle is much safer and doesn't (believe it or not) cause the fish any stress. Today, however, I went back to pick up a new plant and a testing kit. So I walk in to pick them out, and another employee walked up to help me. I explained how I'm setting up a 5 gallon tank for my DP, and he looked at me with the most condescending look I've ever seen. He started off by saying how dwarf puffer fish are BRACKISH fish, and maintaining the salinity is too difficult in such a small tank. This is strange, because on every single care sheet/forum for DPs say that they are one of the only species of puffer to thrive in freshwater, and that it is a common misconception that they need brackish water. But I kept my mouth shut. On top of this, when I asked about how to start the nitrogen cycle, either straight ammonia, fish food, or even shrimp, he called them all "old school" techniques and pointed me toward a supplement that had both ammonia-consuming and nitrite-consuming bacteria. Great. Just what I needed. Bacteria to eat the nutrients that aren't even there. In the end, I thanked him for his time, grabbed the test kits anyways, and left. In summary, I'm sure the guy knew a ton about fish and aquariums overall, but he tried too hard to make it seem like he was a dwarf puffer expert by stating a few true but irrelevant points about them (gold star to him for knowing they originate in India). Just as a side note, nothing against all pet store employees necessarily, just an especially bad (and frankly intimidating) moment today. Anyways, now on to the real situation-I'm ready to cycle. Like I said, I have the testing kits but don't know how to start the Nitrogen cycle. I checked around the shelves at Petco for anything resembling straight ammonia, but to no avail. I had heard it's a bit tough to get your hands on. So as far as I know, that leaves fish food and some kind of animal (shrimp, etc.)? Not really sure what the best way to do it is. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as well as what to do after that. Thanks everyone :)
Artemesia
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Re: DP Aquarium Setup Update (and bonus pet store employee r

Post by Artemesia »

Ammonia is a cleaning agent, been used for that forever so it shouldn't be too hard to find, look for it in the cleaning supplies isle at regular stores, don't bother with fish/pet stores, even if you find it it will be way overpriced. Try the dollar store -or whatever your local equivalent is. Go for the cheap type with no additives. You want just pure ammonia. You should be able to find a big jug of it for very little.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: DP Aquarium Setup Update (and bonus pet store employee r

Post by Pufferpunk »

You're also going to need a bacteria source--anything from an established tank will do. Excellent articles on Fihsless Cycling here, i \n our Library.

What cycling product did he try to sell you? The only ones I do trust are Tetra's Safestart or Tim's One & Only.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"