Normal dwarf puffer?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
KyloRen
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Normal dwarf puffer?

Post by KyloRen »

Is it normal for dwarf puffers to sit on the bottom of the tank and do nothing? Also do they usually curl their tails? Should I also be worried about them not eating I've only had them for a day but when I threw the bloodworms in they just stared at it, one of the 2 dwarfs looked like they were interested but didn't go for it.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Normal dwarf puffer?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sitting still with curled tail could be just sleeping or something worse. What are the parameters? How was the tank cycled?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
KyloRen
Puffer Fry

Post by KyloRen »

my ammonia is 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 20ppm I cycled the tank a year ago I think it was a fishless one I gave away my old stock so that I could get these two puffers. They aren't really sitting anymore swimming normally and their tails only curl sometimes like when hes trying to turn a corner or something. The only problem now is that they aren't eating anything I give them. The guy who sold them to me said he fed them flakes and frozen bloodworms but that doesnt seem to be working for me.
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Post by gkai »

KyloRen wrote:The guy who sold them to me said he fed them flakes and frozen bloodworms but that doesnt seem to be working for me.
Very slim chance they will eat flakes, this happen very seldom with puffers.

Froozen bloodworms should work, eventually, when they get hungry and more confident in the tank.
Give them with the tweezers, moving it slightly and very slowly going away from your puffer. He will feel more confident the tweezer is no menacing, and think the worm is alive.

If nothing works and the puffers start to get too thin, try live bloodworms....

Also, better to use small bloodworms for dwarf puffers, the big ones are a little big too big for juveniles or small individuals...

Once they start accepting froozen bloodworms, problem should be over, at least one of your puffer will eat enough. Just be careful the less dominant one have enough, without having to hugely overfeed the more dominant one...
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Post by gkai »

Also, maybe they are not hungry, even after a fews days. If they are not interrested in food and keep a round belly, could be because they hunt enough snails right now. Once they don't have snails anymore, they will be much more eager to eat bloodworms ;-)
KyloRen
Puffer Fry

Post by KyloRen »

I guess I could try that hopefully it works. I have noticed that their bellies are always nice and plump, but I thought that was because they were puffing up or something. What does a fed pufferfish look like compared to a puffed one? Maybe he sucked in some air when i first got him I wasn't aware at the time that they should always be in the water so I just poured them into a net and placed them into the tank(after acclimating) I don't think the guy at the fish store knew this either. He was not gentle with the puffers, just dropped them in the bag and spun it like crazy.
Pauonicholks
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by Pauonicholks »

I've had same issue with my puffers not beating at all but there very active coming to front of the glass , tried cockles and bloodworms but no luck