Dwarf Puffer Planted Tank Newbie Chcklist

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Otter
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Delaware, USA

Dwarf Puffer Planted Tank Newbie Chcklist

Post by Otter »

Hello everyone
I have decided it is time to get a 10g fishtank. I am going to do a live planted Dwarf Puffer tank. I have been doing some research in a lot of different places but I still want to confirm that I am not missing anything and I still have a few questions.

-I have narrowed down my equipment to the following;
-Marineland Bio-Wheel Penguin 75
-Aquatop GH-50 Heater
Will that work for 2-3 puffers? Any other recommendations? I am not married to the above, they just happen to be on sale right now

-If I am going to do live plants, what water treatment/start up/cycle stuff should I use?

-Is it ok to plant the tank first, get it stabilized, and then add fish or do I have to add fish first and plant later?

-I would like to use black sand substrate. Any recommendations?

Once the puffers are happy and comfortable, I am then going to want to add some species of fish to help keep the tank bottom clean and/or algae free. I have read that this is always a gamble with puffers. So I will try, in this order;
-Cherry Shrimp (if they get eaten, well, then I guess it was just an expensive snack)
-2 Otos
Are there larger shrimp or snails that the puffers won't/can't bother?

-It was suggested to me to use a 20" finnex stingray and I still may go that route. It is just on/off? Does it have a night setting? Does it have a timer? Etc
What other hoods/lights are out there that people like that have the above features if the stingray does not?

-Back when I was into herpetology, feeding invertebrates you find in your garden to your pets was ok if 1/ you don't use and are not in an area that has a lot of pesticides, 2/ you provide whatever invertebrates you find with some time to empty their guts of parasites, and 3/ you know whatever insect or snail you find does not have natural defenses like being toxic
Does it work this way with fish? If I find, say, snails/slugs/earthworms is that an exciting and different snack for dwarf puffers? I do not plan on this being their normal/daily food source.

Thank you for whatever help you can provide
Jeff
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Dwarf Puffer Planted Tank Newbie Chcklist

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Forget the Biowheel, they're crap. Get an Aquaclear 50.
Always best ty foshless cycle your tank: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... s-cycling/
Most folks have had luck with ottos--forget snails.
Outside foods are fine, you know seem to know which are safe.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Otter
Puffer Fry

Post by Otter »

Thank you. I did switch to the Aquaclear
Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
Forget the Biowheel, they're crap. Get an Aquaclear 50.
Always best ty foshless cycle your tank: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... s-cycling/
Most folks have had luck with ottos--forget snails.
Outside foods are fine, you know seem to know which are safe.
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Post by Pufftastic »

I wouldn't do, as you're planning, 2-3 DPs, plus cherry shrimp, plus Otos. WAY too much bioload for a tank that size.

I'd have one DP in a 10 gallon tank. Two if I could guarantee a M/F or F/F combo. And that's it. :)
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
pollypuff
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 c. travancoricus - Phat Ted and Regular Size Rudy
1 c. lorteti - Schmendrick the Magician
~RIP Large Marge~
Location (country): Canada

Post by pollypuff »

also cherry shrimp will be eaten. If you want shrimp go with amano instead but you're still taking a chance they will get eaten when they molt.
Otter
Puffer Fry

Post by Otter »

Thanks everyone
I am going to try a couple feeder shrimp first. If they get eaten, then they were just an expensive snack. Then I will try a couple of Otos.