Step One for Dwarf Puffer Setup (w/ picture)

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Step One for Dwarf Puffer Setup (w/ picture)

Post by Pufferpunk »

If you are showing no nitrAte, then the tank isn't finished cycling yet. No need to use distilled water. No need to worry about pH, at this time.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
ajwideout
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by ajwideout »

Thanks for the input.
KGNickl
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by KGNickl »

I always use bio media in a canister or sponge filter. So when I plan a new tank if a canister I place a large baggie of bio media in one of my existing tanks for 3-4 weeks prior. If sponge I just throw the new sponge in an existing tank for a few weeks. Also, substrate is a big part and I use the same substrate in all my tanks. So when the new tank is ready I add some water, dechlorinate, and throw in 3-4 cups of substrate from an existing tank and throw 3-4 cups of new substrate in my existing tank the established substrate was removed from. So the new tank gets established media and some established substrate mixed in. At that point I plant and decorate the tank and add 1-2 guppies. After another 2 weeks I add whatever I want to the tank. Sounds like a long process but having an established tank when you introduce new often stressed and diseased fish is huge. I have a guppy tank so I just put the guppies back when introduced the new fish.

Also, I have come to the conclusion of treating all new dwarf puffers for worms. I just assume they all have them now.

What I have found is at first you think "oh I have such a good setup and quality food these puffers will fatten up in a couple weeks." One or two weeks later they do not get better, but a little skinnier. At this point you treat your tank, but most likely its too late and they will die anyways or live a short life. I buy fat colorful dwarf puffers and give them one week to adjust with no treatment. Then I treat them with API General Cure followed by a round of prazipro. If I get any that look real bad that I didn't notice at the store I immediately treat them with levamisol instead. Since its a more powerful dewormer. I also make sure I have live black worms on hand for new puffers as they go crazy for them. Helps sick or stressed puffers adjust and fatten up quickly.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Just my 2 pennies worth about 'throwing a shrimp, or prawn in'. The aim is to emulate the waste that will be produced by your fish, so you would actually be adding a very, very small amount. If you add a whole shrimp then unless you have a huge tank and filter you are asking for trouble. An alternative method is to use standard fish food by sprinkling a couple of flakes into the tank, again not a great deal is needed. I used the fish food method to cycle my tank when I started up but bottled ammonia may well be the best method.

As for the water for your first water change, you could use distilled but you could just use the water source that you will normally be using, just keep an eye on parameters daily for the first couple of weeks to make sure everything is ok.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Just noticed there was a 3rd page to this thread and the distilled water question had already been answered :durr: