How many DP's??

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
faHAWKa
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

How many DP's??

Post by faHAWKa »

Hey all, newer username but I've been around for a good few years. Tons of puffer experience in freshwater and brackish. Anyways, my question.... I currently have a live planted 65 gallon that is currently home to a 2" baby Fahaka and I've toyed with the idea of making it home to a swarm of DPs after reading suggestions from other posts. Im no newbie, so know all about breaking the sightlines, having mini territories, etc... I've kept DPs on a smaller scale in 10-20 gallon tanks before, but wondering how many i could safely have in a 65 gallon tank? Its fairly densely planted with lots of driftwood, java moss, java ferns, crypts, cabomba, vals, an Amazon sword and some floaters. LFS has a tankful of DPs at 3 for $12. Could i get away with 12? 9? If i do this, ill be adding some otos to the tank as well. Note, the DPs appear too small for me to properly sex in the tank. Something about seeing a mini swarm of DPs in this tank really intrigues me, so all ideas and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: How many DP's??

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sounds cool, 9-12 would be good.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
TOPuffers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 3 pea puffers/dwarf puffers in a 20 G freshwater planted tank
29 G community tank with plecos, bamboo shrimp, khuli loaches, swordtails, neon tetras and apple snails
Location (country): Toronto, Canada

Re: How many DP's??

Post by TOPuffers »

Hi faHAWKa,

I am curious about how your tank and school of DPs turned out. Do you have an update on the new tank?

This seems likes such a fun tank - I have seen videos of schools of DPs in the wild, and it is amazing to see the little guys doing what wild puffers do :)

Your big school must be something closer to what they would experience in the wild ^_^
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water - Loren Eiseley