DP newbie, tons of questions!

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
SageBear
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

DP newbie, tons of questions!

Post by SageBear »

Hi guys! I've managed to end up with a )mostly) empty, fairly heavily planted (including driftwood), fully cycled (2 mos old, water testing weekly) 29g tank, and I'm dying to try some DPs in it.
I've read the links for the pufferpedia, and the one linked in the "new to dwarf puffers" thread below, but I am left with a few questions:

The tank currenlty houses some cory habrosus. They're the mid-sized cories, they get ~1", they're not pygmies but they aren't full sized either. Does anyone have any experience with DPs and cories? They are my all time favuorite little guys, so I don't want to move them to a different tank (all the others are larger and it'll make them harder to see!). I fully expect to get told it depends on the puffer, just like with bettas, some are great in a community.. some not so much. I was just hoping someone here had some personal experience.

The other thing... the manager at our lfs is really hit-or-miss when it comes to advice. When I mentioned the DPs, she told me that they need brackish water after they hit about 6 mos, or they'll die before they hit a year. This sounds wrong to me, and I haven't seen any mention of it on here.. she said her breeder told her that. Can anyone clarify for me?

Thanks in advance, I LOVE this site!!
AquaMike
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: *1 pea puffer (F)
*1 borneensis red-eye DP (M)
*1 palembang puffer
Location (country): CT, USA

Re: DP newbie, tons of questions!

Post by AquaMike »

Congrats on the "new" tank! Dwarf puffers are great little fish by the way. Also a great starter puffer, and kind of a gate-way drug into the rest of them. They are typically easier to maintain due to their smaller size, no teeth issues, and temperaments. They will appreciate your heavily planted and decorated tank. And are absolutely FW only.

You are also correct in stating that each puffer is different in terms of temperament and feeding (can be picky), plus they may change. And with a 29G you can have numerous puffers, which is great, but also adds to the risk. IME, I kept 2 DPs with 7 pgymy cories (awesome fish!) in a heavily planted 10G. I had very peaceful puffers that even kept my rcs alone so I got lucky. My 2 cents are just to always have a backup plan just in case. I would also only keep 1 male in the group. You could easily do a handful of females in there.
Minipuff
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 5 dwarf puffers
Location (country): Norway

Post by Minipuff »

Five months ago I got my first fish ever - six DPs in a 30 gallons tank. They are all doing well, and are housed with four amano shrimp. The only thing that has been difficult, is a couple of very picky individuals with respect to feeding. So make sure that you can provide live food, at least occasionally.

Concerning the corys - I once saw some DPs in a tank with corys, in a store. The corys' tails and fins were badly damaged, and the DPs were nipping at them. After seeing that, I would never ever recommend to anyone to put those species together.
havi
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by havi »

You're right, it absolutely depends on the puffer. I had 1 that adopted some baby danios and a platy, and another that tried to kill everything it could reach. Avoid DPs that are attacking the other fish in their display tank, and see if your LFS will accept exchanges on fish that are too aggressive with your corys.

DPs are true freshwater puffers; they don't need brackish at any point in their life. Double check the scientific name of the puffers your store is selling. Carinotetraodon travancoricus is the Dwarf Puffer and IS freshwater. Green Spotted Puffers (Tetraodon nigroviridis) and Figure Eight Puffers (T. biocellatus) are brackish. A nice chart can be found here: http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/P ... erfish.php

Make sure you watch your puffers eat, and make sure they'll accept bloodworms! I've had 2 that would ONLY eat snails. I'd definitely recommend you get some round thin-shelled pest snails from a pet store and put them in an empty tank with some romaine lettuce; they breed pretty quickly, and puffers go nuts for them. You'll need to crush anything larger than the puffers' eye because they can't bite through thick shells. Puffers are not as quick-swimming as many other fish, so you'll need to watch to make sure they're actually eating the food that goes into the tank. Keep an eye on the poops; DPs normally have big fat lumpy turds. If they're small, thin, and white, get a dewormer like Prazipro, since DPs are very prone to internal parasites. Best of luck! DPs are great little fish!
SageBear
Puffer Fry

Post by SageBear »

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to go with Rams (GBR) in that tank, and save the puffer purchase until I can set up a species only tank. Not worth risking my cute little water-pups! I really wish I could put 2 puffers in a 3 gal (they have a gorgeous rimless artsy flashy one for sale at the lfs this weekend) but I know that wouldn't work, so I'm holding off. Patience. Must develop patience!
I haven't heard much about keeping DPs singly, is that doable? And if so, the 3 is too small for even one correct? I've heard 5 for the first, 3 afterwards. And since I'd be decorating to keep the little one interested.. I guess there's not really any wiggle room there, is there? (I know it's a dumb question that gets all the time, but humor me? I really do want to make sure my fishy is healthy and happy, just wondering if that would be enough)
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: DP
Location (country): USA

Post by TheStig »

[welcome]

I am new to DPs too, having kept them for just over 2 months. Love them! This is my first tank ever, and they are such a wonderful experience.

You are certainly right. DPs definitely do not need brackish water. Good for you for doing research. Please educate your LFS so she would stop giving false information that will kill these innocent fish. If she argues, send her and her breeder this way so they can get educated about the proper care of DPs. :-)

I don't have cories in my tank, but I keep an Amano shrimp that has been in there almost as long as my first DP. He has never been harassed by the puffers. I recently added a little Bee shrimp, and my DPs have absolutely no interest in her when she bravely comes out. I also picked up an Oto along with the Bee, and again, no interest in their new friend.

Keep us updated!
10 gallon: 1 dwarf puffer, 3 Otos, 1 amano shrimp

Don't let your wet friend suffer - PufferPunk
SageBear
Puffer Fry

Post by SageBear »

Thanks all!

I thought I replied earlier, but I guess I didn't post properly? I've decided in the interests of keeping my little water-puppies safe, I'm not going to put puffers in the 29. I'm going to go with a pair of GBR I think (Rams). I was pretty sure it'd be a mixed response, just like with a betta, you get different personalities every time. Not worth the risk imo, i really love my little cories.

The lfs has a great sale on some super flashy-rounded edge-pretty neato tanks this weekend, but the biggest one is 3 gal. Based on the reading, that's too small for one little guy isn't it. I'd have it scaped somewhat with relatively large driftwood and live plants so he's have a jungle to explore, which would reduce the water volume even more. I'm thinking it'sa no-go?
We do have other, more appropriate-sized tanks, and if I have to I'll wait and put a pair in the 10 when it frees up, but I'd really love to get a little guy for my desk at home, or beside the bed :)

Let me know what you guys think, and thanks a ton for the feedback so far! I'll definitely make sure I mention the brackish misinfo to her, she's good people, just misinformed sometimes :)