Pea puffer tank set up

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
FishAdict
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: One pea puffer, Mr. Hufflepuff. 5g fulval chi tank
Location (country): Canada

Pea puffer tank set up

Post by FishAdict »

Hi I'm new here I am just getting out of the saltwater hobby and I miss the fish with personality. I was wanting to use my 5g fulval chi tank and set it up as a planted tank for a single pea puffer and an Otto to help keep the tank clean.

I have a few questions I found mixed answers too which is why I started an account here.

1) would a 5g tall be big enough for those 2 fish? (I have a 10g bow front tank, just smaller is easier to do water changes)

2) I heard Java moss and Java fern are good starter plants. What kind of substrate should I use and what is the best way to place the plants? I read something about tying them to rocks or driftwood with white string????

3) The LED lights the fulval comes with suck, I'm thinking if I use that tank/filter system I'd need to retrofit different LED lights into it??? Any suggestions of what would be better to use? Or if I use the 10g what type of lightning should I buy for it? Also guessing an aquaclear filter system rated for a 10g would work, but I was thinking for more flow should I add the koralia nano powerhead? Do I need a bubblier? (I have a few and know bubbliers are used in FW, but wasn't sure about planted tanks and pea puffers)

4) I can get tiny snails from the LFS, was thinking of adding some and hoping they reproduce faster then the puffer can eat them. However I don't want the puffer to over feed on them so maybe adding a bunch is a bad idea? Better to add a few every once in awhile??? My LFS feed their pea puffers frozen mysis (which is what I'll feed) how often do they need snails to eat?

5) what type of special care do the plants need? I have no intention to buy a CO2 unit but I read somewhere about adding drops of stuff to help the plants. What stuff do the plants need and I'm guessing you add it weekly?

Just want to plan everything ahead of time and know exactly what's involved before I start. Thanks for the help :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Pea puffer tank set up

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

I only feed my dp snails on a rare occasion and they suck them out of the shell. They do not need crunchy foods to maintain thier teeth. I mainly feed mine live blackworms. As pp stated 1 dp per 5g. Not sure about having the otto in there as well. The java fern and moss should not require the added supplementation but if you wanted you could dose with with flourish. The java moss can be tied onto driftwood with string or fishing line untill it attached then the string or line can be removed. I love the look of driftwood with moss, this is what i have in my dp tank.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
FishAdict
Puffer Fry

Post by FishAdict »

Yes I just want one DP and I was thinking the moss would look cool on a piece of driftwood. Good to know the snails can be fed rarely. I wasn't sure cause I didn't know if they needed them more often cause of their teeth.
FishAdict
Puffer Fry

Post by FishAdict »

Thank-you for the link.

What is the best substrate to use for DP's? Sand or small rocks?
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

See my other post on the meet and greet :P also, if you want them to crunch on the shells, smash it between your finger and the glass. That way they have to chew through she'll to get to meat ;) it is rare to get one with an overgrown beak since I had one that was too hard for me to trim and he died of starvation :( I keep a close eye on them making sure they all have happy little puffer tummies :)
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Biff Malawi
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Biff Malawi »

Java moss and java fern are great plants that will grow in almost any light with no additives. I tie mine to rocks or wood with green thread it blends in well. Any substrate should be fine as you won't be planting into it.

On that tank I would use some assortment of leds they come in all kinds of small sizes.
http://www.bigalspets.ca/led-strip-12-0 ... te-10.html

On the 10g I use these with success.
http://www.bigalspets.ca/led-aquarium-light.html

no additional flow required and a bubblier is absolutely not required(sorry I hate them)

I feed mine frozen blood worms thawed rinsed and often soaked in vitamins. Snails are fun and nutritious food but are not mandatory as pea puffers do not have tooth over growth issues. You can throw a bunch of snails in at once but they will never breed the puffer will get them before they have a chance. A separate breeder tank is always the way to go.
Stand Tall, Be Brave, Wait For The Signs
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Anubias are great for low light! I had one in my 20g with not that much light and it doubled in size in 3 years :) divided it in half and took the bigger piece to my lfs... Hoping the half I still have will grow faster since it has better light now
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
FishAdict
Puffer Fry

Post by FishAdict »

Thank-you for the light and plant information, this is good to know.

I am going to be setting up the 5g as I really like the look of the fulval chi tank.

I've read various temptures that DPs should be kept in. Some say 70-74 others say 76-80. Since that is a pretty big difference I was wondering what temp is the right temp to keep them at? I was thinking 76-78?????
FishAdict
Puffer Fry

Post by FishAdict »

I got the tank set up today. I had some nice plastic plants and I bought and boiled a piece of Malaysian driftwood. So far I think it looks decent. I think I will add some Java moss to the driftwood and maybe someday I'll swap out the plastic plants for real ones.

Tank all clean and ready to go

Tank getting rocks and water

All done (for now)
FishAdict
Puffer Fry

Post by FishAdict »

After looking at the pic I thought that the one corner looked empty. So I fixed it :)

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Wonderful! Can I live there?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
FishAdict
Puffer Fry

Post by FishAdict »

Pufferpunk wrote:Wonderful! Can I live there?

Thanks, but I'm not sure you'd fit, lol :lol:
Andy W
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by Andy W »

Your tank looks great - should provide some inspiration for my puffer project.
FishAdict
Puffer Fry

Post by FishAdict »

Andy W wrote:Your tank looks great - should provide some inspiration for my puffer project.
Thanks :) now I just have to endure the slow cycling process