Small Fahaka

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Eddie
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Nova scotia Canada

Small Fahaka

Post by Eddie »

We just got a 3 inch Fahaka that is over a year old.We have another the same age and is the normal size roughly.The new guy has been in a 6 foot tank its whole life atleast after purchase.Has been treated for ip's a few times and is active and looking healthy and acting healthy.Have done a lot of digging wondering if its a fahaka from lake tunaka and if maybe there is such a thing as a dwarf fahaka.A study in 1948 seems to think so but no further research has been done sense.I want him or her in the right tank but if this is the forever size i would like to know that too.I think he has been on this forum before.Another member said to ask about him here.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Small Fahaka

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Never heard of a "dwarf" fahaka--just stunted ones.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Eddie
Puffer Fry

Post by Eddie »

Was Hoping you saw this...A friend of mine...Melissa Kenny said you were the one to talk to about this little guy
Eddie
Puffer Fry

Post by Eddie »

Thanks for responding
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Post by scpion »

3in and over a year old is a very very slow & odd growth rate. But some time ago there was a member that have one that was also growing very slowly in the previous own's care though..
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
Eddie
Puffer Fry

Post by Eddie »

Not sure but was told this is the best place to ask
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It is & welcome!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Eddie
Puffer Fry

Post by Eddie »

Pufferpunk wrote:It is & welcome!
So should he stay in a 6 foot tank do you think?If hes stunted then i dont see the sense if after over a year almost a year and a half to keep him in a 6 footer.I would guess he will die soon.My understanding a stunted fish will still grow inside.No signs of ip's...looks great and poop is perfect.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

What we're living conditions for the first year? I agree, sounds stunted.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Nothing wrong with LOTS of swimming room!

G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

Eddie wrote:
Pufferpunk wrote:It is & welcome!
So should he stay in a 6 foot tank do you think?If hes stunted then i dont see the sense if after over a year almost a year and a half to keep him in a 6 footer.I would guess he will die soon.My understanding a stunted fish will still grow inside.No signs of ip's...looks great and poop is perfect.
I don't think this is right... if a fish is stunted, they will still be growing portionally like a normal fish.... The stunting is a result of poor housing/nutrition, IP's, or other growth dependent factors that result in extremely slow or halted growth. Your fahaka will most likely live a long, happy life if properly cared for (admittedly it may possibly be less long than if it was never stunted). In some animals, stunting is just a response to stressful conditions with less-than-ideal resources, with no huge impact on health. I'd stick with that tank, and just take proper care of your fish and see how far it gets you! :D
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
wahoosotto
Puffer Fry

Post by wahoosotto »

Usually the obvious sign of your fish being stunted are the eyes. If the fish has an unproportional eye size compared the body, in your case look at pictures on the net and compare, then you will know whether it is or isn't stunted. If it is all proportional in your judgement, then he is/was malnourished and possibly catch-up in terms of growth with the proper care And environment.

BTW posting pictures would greatly help. :)
Eddie
Puffer Fry

Post by Eddie »

What puzzles me is he was in a 6 foot tank sense purchase and the old owner has always kept great conditions for all her fish..eyes to fish size comparison looks normal..Eyes seem about right..we only have had him about a week now...poo looks good and eats great..very active...just makes no sense unless stunted before purchase but my understanding was they were caught not too long before my friends bought all three they had...my friends each kept one and i the other and now a year later i buy this guy from friend hoping to turn him around but very much dough any changes will occur.We have about a thousand gallons i keep clean with lots of different cool fish but never saw the likes of this before.I will keep him in a 6 foot for now but if no change with proper water and diet ill reduce the tank size.3 months should show some change if there is going to be any.
Eddie
Puffer Fry

Post by Eddie »

wahoosotto wrote:Usually the obvious sign of your fish being stunted are the eyes. If the fish has an unproportional eye size compared the body, in your case look at pictures on the net and compare, then you will know whether it is or isn't stunted. If it is all proportional in your judgement, then he is/was malnourished and possibly catch-up in terms of growth with the proper care And environment.

BTW posting pictures would greatly help. :)
I hope your right...ill post a pic when i figure out how...new to this forum
Eddie
Puffer Fry

Post by Eddie »