Dwarf puffers

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Trouty
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England

Dwarf puffers

Post by Trouty »

Hello, another new member from the U.K. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I've set up a 65l tank so I can have some dwarf puffers and have been trawling the internet so the set up is as good as possible, apparently this is the place to come for good advice. My tank has a aqua flow 200 filter and has a large piece of bogwood, a lot of live plants, including moss, 2 coconut shells and a small terracotta plant pot. How many dwarf puffers could I keep in here? I am hoping for 3/4. I have set up a small tank to breed snails for food. How does this all sound? Do I need another filter? The info I've read seems to suggest I could keep some otos with them and maybe some cherry shrimp to help clean up, opinions please.
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Re: Dwarf puffers

Post by Arny »

Hey trouty
You can have 5 dps. Your tank is 17us gallons. The first dp needs 5g and then 3g for every other dp you ad to the 17g tank. Make sure you have lots of plants and also make sure you have 1 male to every 3 females.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

After all decorations, I'd put the real tank volume (remember that deco/substrate displace water) at about 14 US gallons (depending on the amount of decor/substrate), give or take a gallon.
For this size I'd do no more then 3 DPs.
The tank sizes in the pufferpedia are bare minimal suggestions and I believe they should be treated as a recomended water volume, more than an actual listed tank size. Doing it this way ensures the happiness of your wet pets :)
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

I agree with 3 and I would personally lean more towards 2. I love fish with plenty of room, I like them relaxed and chilled out and not feeling like they have to outcompete each other.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I agree with the above, 3 would be good if you get just one male. Two would be better so they can really let their personalities shine
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

+1 t Bertie's comments.

Tank nominal volume has little to do with actual working volume, it is a handy figure for labeling with no predictive value re real working volume. For US-made tanks, a guestimate many use is ~70% of so-called nominal volume, but obviously that is not a real measure either. For accuracy you have to measure. For accuracy it pays to measure. You only have to do so once for any given set-up.

Absolute minimum volumes are rarely to never ideal or optimum. Optimum volumes are likely to be half again to 2x the minimum volumes suggested. Coupled with suggested water partial replacement (change) rates, you are more likely to have your pet healthy and happy for its full captive life span, which will be far longer than average wild life spans.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune