Where to start???

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Artemis
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Where to start???

Post by Artemis »

Hi I have never kept puffers before and must admit I know very little about them (just what I have read on this forum and others). My husband has been wanting a puffer for a couple of years now and we have decided that perhaps we would like to venture into something new and get one. I have had several large cichlid tanks for many years and have no issues with keeping the fish alive healthy and happy, so I do know something about fish keeping just nothing about puffer keeping. My lfs tells me they get pea puffers and figure 8 puffers in fairly regularly, and she said that the figure 8 would be fine with a cichlid community tank or I could make a small planted tank with several pea puffers. I am not so sure that advice is correct. I have been reading a lot of sometimes contradictory and confusing information on puffers and would really like to get get infomation from people who have successfully kept them. I need to know what kind of tank, plants, substrate, possible tank mates, food etc that i would need to have ready before I brought the little guy (s) home. I am in the process of stocking a 125 gal sandy bottom cichlid community type tank so if a figure 8 puffer could go in there then thats great (all the fish will be small right now) but if they need a seperate tank right from the beginning I am ok with that too. I just kind of need to know where to start.
Puffalot
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green spotted puffer (2)
Location (country): Houston USA

Re: Where to start???

Post by Puffalot »

Do not put a figure 8 with cichlids.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Do not mix puffers with any other fish. Full stop. For a start f8 puffers are brackish fish and cichlids are not. If you want a puffer set up a puffer only tank, it's the only way. Welcome to the forum
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Artemis
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by Artemis »

ok well the f8 puffer is out then. Pea Puffers it is. I have a 20 gal tank I can set up for him (them). Could I have more than one pea puffer in a 20gal? I assume it should be a planted tank with sand? What about other fish or inverts?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Puffalot
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Green spotted puffer (2)
Location (country): Houston USA

Post by Puffalot »

I wouldn't do more than 3 or 4 but make sure you find the right food
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

You want females only in close confines. A heavily planted or decorated tank is perfect for these guys. Inverts etc will likely get eaten but I had good success with large Amano shrimp, this is likely a 1 in a million tho
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Fin
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by Fin »

My Dwarf does not bother the ghost shrimp community that is in my tank either. Puffers have a wide variety of personalities, so it will be hit or miss whether shrimp will be ok or not.

Many of the puffer keepers here strongly push towards species only tanks, because of aggression or feeding problems etc. It is possible to keep puffers with other fish, but it's a luck of the draw, and far safer for all parties involved for a species only tank, most definitely. I have a community with SAPs, and the only thing that gets preyed upon are the shrimp, which is what they're there for. But I'll admit, it's luck on my part. That whole personality thing and all.
xiayiyi
Puffer Fry
Location (country): maimi

Post by xiayiyi »

A heavily planted or decorated tank is perfect for these guys. Inverts etc will likely get eaten but I had good success with large Amano shrimp.
cheap Runescape 2007 Gold
Runescape 2007 Gold