SAPs snail hunting skills

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
New2puffs
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

SAPs snail hunting skills

Post by New2puffs »

Okay, ive had my saps mikey and harold for about a month. We just got done battling ich and a minicycle and my puffs have came out rather unscathed. They r very good eaters, but since ive had them ive been crunching up their snails each day and hand feeding them. Now i think they r spoiled. Ive dropped snails in their tank but they just ignore them. Course they r small snails..... And i tend to not see them after a few days... Idk maybe they r eating them. Ugh, i digress. My question is, if i just drop a bunch of snails in their tank and quit crunching them up an hand feeding them, will they start hunting the snails when they get hungry enough?
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: SAPs snail hunting skills

Post by bertie 83 »

That is correct, mine now only get whole snails. Welcome to the forum
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

+1 to bertie's comments.

I tend to add snails during the tank's dark cycle while the SAPs are asleep. This pretty much guarantees that the SAP must hunt to find them and then eat them by crushing them. They need the exercise of hunting (these are very active fish IME) and need the incisor abrasion of the shells. Both are good for them.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Once they figure out snails can be found simply by looking for them you will see them constantly scouring the substrate in search of more.
acerimmer
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Present puffer, fugu puffer only had him/her for few a months. but coping well
1 f8 puffer which lived for 3 years :(
Location (country): burton on trent, england

Post by acerimmer »

ive never thought of dropping snails in when lights off, tho i have a f8 :)

a idea i have sometimes i buy red claw crabs only a few £s if they survie then all good but if they get picked on n die ill freeze um so can be defrosted later, might sound harsh but cuz my f8 hasnt got a big mouth to fit a whole crab or shelled cockle, out comes a hammer to brake um when still froze,, add bits into a shot glass of tank water to defrost then serve :)
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Snails put in when the lights are off enables them to escape temporarily, they can then be hunted later. Be sure to add when lights are on too so your puffer understands that you are the source of his feedings, not just the magically appearing snails lol
New2puffs
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by New2puffs »

Thank you everyone for your replies :) my puffers are still small and ive began raising ramshorns for them but none of them are the size of my guys eyes. I have lots of eggs but no tiny snails yet. Should i just continue to crunch bigger snails until i have some small enough for them or can they eat bigger snails? Sometimes i feed them frozen bloodworms too for a treat. Is this okay for a bit until i have smal enough snails?