Hello from sunny Singapore!

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Re: Hello from sunny Singapore!

Post by sgtmyers88 »

That should work as your current bioload requirements with your puffers is 11g as per the stocking guide. I have a 10g tank with a trio of DP's which I will confess is pushing it, but it is heavily planted and has a filter rated for a 20g tank. I do support the idea of overfiltrating as I have done it for all my tanks from years of keeping various species of goldfish. For that 12g I would recommend getting a filter rated for a 20g or preferably a 30g tank and use the 5g for snails or QT.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
sgtmyers88

Post by sgtmyers88 »

WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
paws_bells
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 3 Dwarf Puffers
Other critters include but are not limited to:
3 Amano Shrimps
1 Otocinclus
8 Cherry Shrimps
2 Redtail Catfishes
2 Red Arowanas
1 Silver Arowana
1 Pig-nosed turtle
6 Killifishes
Assorted guppies
Location (country): Singapore

Post by paws_bells »

@PufferPunk: Thanks, but I will still be needing a lot of help setting up the other tank (which I'd probably start another thread requesting for SOS later), so the trio will still have to stay in the 5 gal tank for now until their new home is ready for them. I think that shouldn't be a problem yet, not to mention I'm still treating them for IP, so a smaller enclosure is preferable for that purpose, from what I have read. =)

@sgtmyers88: You just read my thoughts! I intend to buy a larger filter for the new tank, but will also hang the existing one with it as backup; overfiltration is always better than underfiltration, right? And perhaps, with this larger space, I can finally add a small colony of dwarf shrimps with my single Otocinclus as cleanup crew. =) Wondering if I will need to buy a tank light as well though; currently I'm using an 8W energy saving desk lamp because I didn't feel that the 5 gal is quite big enough to require specialized lighting, but I'm not so sure for the 12 gal, what do you guys think? And like you said, once the little puffs are situated in their new home, the 5 Gal will likely be converted into a snail breeding tank (speaking of which, I also have some problems with the snail breeding part that will need to be addressed).

BTW, your tank looks amazing!! It is intimidatingly huge as well, not to mention all those complex decorations and plants to make your GSPs feel as close to home as possible. I'm impressed, and can only imagine the amount of time, effort and money you have put in to make all that possible. Your GSPs are also adorable and look like fat little blimps curiously navigating the waters, haha. Can't wait to see them in action when they are fully grown!
“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Puffermania
Puffer Fry

Post by Puffermania »

paws_bells wrote:@scpion: I know what you mean by those puppy dog eyes! I'm a dog lover myself, so I suppose it's not surprising that I became attracted to puffers eventually. :D

@Puffermania: Hi, I got my puffs at Seaview too! That was a week or so ago though, but I also went there last Sunday to pick up IP meds for the DPs and I saw that they had replenished the stock. Lots of little puffs bobbing around in the DP tank, all looking quite healthy as well (but Seaview's stocks are usually pretty good) so you'd probably be able to get your choice of DPs there. How many are you planning to get, by the way? Will you have room for one more? This is such a coincidence, but if you read my longwinded replies above, you will know that I will need to rehome one due to overstocking. You seem to be setting up a tank purely for DPs and have probably also done your share of research on them as well. I will be very grateful if you can help me out; it will make me feel a lot better to know that the little fella that I'm giving up will be in good, knowledgeable hands.

I've set up my tank 3 weeks ago and is currently clearing up some algae issues as well as browning leaves. The perfectionist in me demands a pristine and lush enviroment for the little fellas. Probably going to get 4F and 1M. I did get 2 amano shrimps last night to help up with the hair algae and would introduce 5 Dps next week. The long wait had been torturing. As for your kind offer, i'm glad you sorted that out with a larger tank and all ended up well.

ps: we do have a number of puffer enthusiasts in Singapore, as Seaview do carry Mbu, Congo, Fahakas, PolyArt (24hrs) in Blk 328 Clementi do keep stock of GSP, QIanHu fish farm with Red Eye.
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Post by defool89 »

Woo for fahakas.. the Michael Myers of puffs :evil:
You have the right to bear Puffers.
paws_bells
Puffer Fry
3 Amano Shrimps
1 Otocinclus
8 Cherry Shrimps
2 Redtail Catfishes
2 Red Arowanas
1 Silver Arowana
1 Pig-nosed turtle
6 Killifishes
Assorted guppies

Post by paws_bells »

@defoo89: Thanks for the welcome, maybe?? =p

@Puffermania: Yes, there are puffer enthusiasts in our local region, but like I said, they usually go for the bigger ones, the Figure-Eights and up. Can't blame them, the larger puffers are pretty awesome looking. Still compared to the local favorites (the Aros, Discus, Flowerhorn, Motoro Rays), I think we remain a minority. Good luck on your fishkeeping, I'm sure you will do well with all the effort that you have put in already!

I'm glad I resolved my issues too, and guess what, guys? I underestimated the size of the tanks in storage quite a bit, and they were a whopping 17 gallons each! Of course, this is nothing compared to the monster tanks some of you have, but for my little puffs, that's over three times the size of their current enclosure, so I think they will be very happy when they move into their new home. =)
paws_bells
Puffer Fry
3 Amano Shrimps
1 Otocinclus
8 Cherry Shrimps
2 Redtail Catfishes
2 Red Arowanas
1 Silver Arowana
1 Pig-nosed turtle
6 Killifishes
Assorted guppies

Post by paws_bells »

Hi again, everyone.

Here's a quick update, I have just relocated my 'lil helicopter fleet (plus one ground support crew) to their new base. Here is a picture of their new home:

I had to take the picture angled so as to fit in the entire tank, but it's definitely a lot larger than the old one. Will be putting in another HOB filter tomorrow, as well as more plants. The purple netting at the back wall is my clumsy DIY attempt at creating a Java Moss wall; hopefully there will be a lusher and greener background in a few months' time.

I am pleased to report that the fishes look quite settled in and the water condition (so far) seems pretty good.

So, currently, I have my three DPs and an Oto in this 17 Gallon tank. I also have 3 Amano shrimps and 8 RCS in QT, ready to be introduced once I clear the tank of IP meds.

Now, my question is this, with my tank parameters, how many Otos (I'm hoping at least two more) can I safely introduce without compromising the bioload too much? I feel a bit sorry for my lone ground crew.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Love the curly java fern. I found some last year, at a fish show.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
paws_bells
Puffer Fry
3 Amano Shrimps
1 Otocinclus
8 Cherry Shrimps
2 Redtail Catfishes
2 Red Arowanas
1 Silver Arowana
1 Pig-nosed turtle
6 Killifishes
Assorted guppies

Post by paws_bells »

Yup, I saw some DIY tutorials online regarding the Java Moss wall and thought that I'd give it a try now that I have a bigger tank to do so. I reckoned it'd be better to partially restrict their movements a bit as opposed to letting them float randomly around the tank and potentially blocking my filters.
sPuffalopagus
Dwarf Puffer

Post by sPuffalopagus »

Hi Paws!! Welcome to Pufferforum!!
Greetings from Creampuff and myself!!
Between the two of us we have had cared for many smaller species of puffers.
We must say they are über adorable!!

After a two year hiatus, we are considering setting up a tank for Irrubescos.
Meanwhile, do contact us if you ever need some "local" support!!
Ohhh... the Anticipation!!!

Hammie the Baileyi
Sunny the Abei
Nori the Fang
Kyuri and Hamachi the Female Irrubescos
Beetroot the Fahaka
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

Dang I miss S'pore ...

Other than physical space you are in an ideal location to keep and get exotic puffers. I really do envy you. Plant upkeep is 1 topic puffer keeping is a different topic. But can and will be, big jobs. Try to keep it as simple as possible, and as easy to maintain as possible. It may not be that difficult with trial and error (and more error), but you will eventually find that happy medium.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
sgtmyers88

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Unfortunately the OP has disappeared from the forum since October. Dunno if she will get these posts or return.
Puffermania
Puffer Fry

Post by Puffermania »

J-P wrote:Dang I miss S'pore ...

Other than physical space you are in an ideal location to keep and get exotic puffers. I really do envy you. Plant upkeep is 1 topic puffer keeping is a different topic. But can and will be, big jobs. Try to keep it as simple as possible, and as easy to maintain as possible. It may not be that difficult with trial and error (and more error), but you will eventually find that happy medium.

Yeah, as a Singaporean, i think we are really blessed with affordable prices for tropical fishes, and the newly set up SEA aquarium in Resort World Sentosa and the long established Underwater World.

http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US ... EAAquarium
http://www.underwaterworld.com.sg/