Dwarf Puffer help

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Dwarf Puffer help

Post by RTR »

Very few hobbyists have much understanding of filtration and apparently of current.

Current is highly desirable in aquariums, but only that amount appropriate to the fish housed in the tank. IMHO, 2x 100gph filters on a 10 with gentle swimmers such as DPs could easily be akin to housing them in a washing machine if the filters are at all well maintained and are capable of such high tirnovers. NIMFT, not ever. I do not use HOBs as they are too inefficient for me, and even in small tanks I do tend to divide filtration formats (mechanical and biological are routinely done separately and often in different units). So I cannot address current HOB models. DPs are not main-channel strong current fish. They are not strong swimmer. They like to helicopter around foods and examine it closely before eating. I just doubt that they can survive in a ten with actual 200GPH turnover. That is white-water current and inappropriate for DPs.

I also keep DPs only with live plants, and I don't think they will do well if they survive at all at 200 GPH in a ten either.

FWIW
Where's the fish? - Neptune
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

I have to go with RTR on this one. Filters are good to an extent. DP's don't produce that much collectible waste so over filtering is not necessary. What is needed is a good bottom cleaning. They leave a lot of shells and partial bodies behind that are not collected by the filter. Regular substrate and surface cleaning is more important than cranking up the filter.

If you have that much flow in the tank and it is that small, you'll have to diffuse the current some how. 10x turnover seems appropriate.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
knoids
Puffer Fry
Location (country): U.S.A

Post by knoids »

Oh goodness. So maybe I should just keep the 1 Aqueon 10? Should I just sell the Aqueon, and buy a AquaClear 20? I don't have large amounts of money, so a really good canister filter or something like that is not an option
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Okay, so I am apparently quite confused. What I have read and studied always says that over-filtering with puffers is needed. I understand that biological filtration and the current are different things, but the Aqueon uses filter pads, which I have noticed from my own experiences, do not hold the bacteria anyway near as well the sponges that aquaclear has.

Also, generally companies rate their products abilities higher than they really are, so I figure it's better to cut down the capability by 1/3-1/2 depending on the product.

I am not trying to say that RTR, or J-P are wrong, because I have no doubt that your guys' experiences are far more broad than my own.

As far as the actual filter goes, you could sell your current one and get an aquaclear. As I said, they have always held bacteria better, at least in my own experiences. Or, you could try your Aqueon if you wanted.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
knoids
Puffer Fry

Post by knoids »

Ok, correct/guide me if you read anything wrong. I am going to get one Aqua Clear 10 filter (100 gph), and run it for about a month. Do I REALLY need a API Freshwater Master Test Kit? Is it necessary? Remember, I still need to cycle the tank. I am going to use 1 zebra danio. The ammonia method seems complicated.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

The ammonia method is not at all complicated. You really need to get the test kit because without it you cannot monitor your cycle. The fishless cycling method is the best method because it is the most humane. I am quite sure that no one here will endorse the method of cycling with the fish, sorry. I do wish you good luck with everything.

As far as the filter thing goes, I cannot filly speak on that. RTR stated that 2x 100GPH= 200GPH isn't good, but I am not sure if 200GPH from one filter is okay or is not okay. Hopefully he will chime in on that and clear up for you if you should get a 10 or a 20.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Everybody stop and take a deep breath.

OK?

We are talking about one or two DPs in in a nominal 10 gallon tank. The total fish biomass is less that that of one adult female guppy. Does a guppy require more than a (nominal) 10x turnovers? Not in my fish tanks (NIMFT).

Can a DP helicopter around a worm cone with over 10x nominal turnovers? I doubt it. Can they even catch a falling live blackworm in greater than 10x turnovers? That too is doubtful.

Over-filtration is generally good and usually needed for puffers. Since when is 10x nominal turnovers per hour for fish with a total biomass less than one female guppy not over-filtration at 10x on its own? How many 10s have you seen with only10 or fewer guppies? A decent HOB on a ten is massive over-filtration in and of itself for one or two DPs. You may need some current defusing or at least keep the water very well topped up to minimize the waterfall effect.

Now, do we still have any issues with DP filtration?
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Post by Terrance »

The Aquaclear models have a switch that enables the users to turn down the current if needed. I do not think the OP's current filter will achieve 100gph. The OP could buy a bigger version of the Aquaclear HOB filters and turn the current all the way down. This way the current will still be adequate (but not too much current) and there is another established filter available when OP wants to setup a bigger tank for other puffers ;)
Kind regards,
Terrance
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

RTR wrote:Everybody stop and take a deep breath.

OK?

We are talking about one or two DPs in in a nominal 10 gallon tank. The total fish biomass is less that that of one adult female guppy. Does a guppy require more than a (nominal) 10x turnovers? Not in my fish tanks (NIMFT).

Can a DP helicopter around a worm cone with over 10x nominal turnovers? I doubt it. Can they even catch a falling live blackworm in greater than 10x turnovers? That too is doubtful.

Over-filtration is generally good and usually needed for puffers. Since when is 10x nominal turnovers per hour for fish with a total biomass less than one female guppy not over-filtration at 10x on its own? How many 10s have you seen with only10 or fewer guppies? A decent HOB on a ten is massive over-filtration in and of itself for one or two DPs. You may need some current defusing or at least keep the water very well topped up to minimize the waterfall effect.

Now, do we still have any issues with DP filtration?
Thank you for clearing this up for all of us.

The only thing I am questioning now, is the aqueon filter going to be adequate for her, or not? I don't mean in terms of turn over rate, I mean for the holding of bacteria and everything else?
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

I do not use HOBs myself, but lots of folks swear by them. PP herself is a big fan and uses them routinely. They are good and reliable HOBs.

The biological demand of one or two DPs in a ten is not great. The initial captive breedings of these fish were done in 5 gallon tanks or smaller, but those fish were also short-lived, likely from stress as well as pollution.

Equipment, feeding, water management and upkeep all must be done properly to keep fish healthy. There is no magic equipment or additives which will do the jobs needed.
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Post by Terrance »

Nuclear_Glitter wrote:The only thing I am questioning now, is the aqueon filter going to be adequate for her, or not? I don't mean in terms of turn over rate, I mean for the holding of bacteria and everything else?
Yes the aqueon alone will hold enough bacteria. Besides the filter, those beneficial bacteria also grows on other parts of the tank. However the filter has the most bacteria. If there are not enough place for bacteria to grow inside the filter, then they will grow more in other places in the tank.
Kind regards,
Terrance
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have an old AC 70 over my 10g hex with a single (killer) DP in there. I have a HUGE Anubis plant that goes all the way to the top of the tank that diffuses the flow & doesn't whisk the puffer around the tank.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
knoids
Puffer Fry

Post by knoids »

Thanks so much guys, this is amazing all of the reply's and information that I am getting!