Dwarf Puffer help

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
knoids
Puffer Fry
Location (country): U.S.A

Dwarf Puffer help

Post by knoids »

I would love it if you guys could just give me some tips and stuff on dwarf puffers. I am very new to puffers, I don't even have one yet! MOST OF ALL, I want to know how many Dwarf Puffers I can put in a 10 gallon tank. I also want to know what to feed them. They are meat only/carnivore right? will midas shrimp, (they have 69.5% protien) work? do I need to feed them snails? Do there teeth grow? How much water do I need to change every week? Do I need to over-filtrate? (right now I have a Aqueon 10, which does 100gph)
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Dwarf Puffer help

Post by bertie 83 »

Max 2 in a 10 gal, they love snails and all meaty foods. Heavily decorate and change 50% weekly. Their teeth do not grow like other puffers but boy do they love snails
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

I would recommend an aquaclear filter in addition to your current filter. You could get an aquaclear 20 or 30 and put it with your other one for more filtration.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

I am not familiar with the current filter, 100gph sounds good, just curious ng why add another? Is the current one not much cop?
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

bertie 83 wrote:I am not familiar with the current filter, 100gph sounds good, just curious ng why add another? Is the current one not much cop?
Well, 100GPH is the minimum on a 10 gallon and with puffers they generally produce more waste than normal fish, as you know. (Secondly, that filter is only so-so in quality, IMO). I recommended the addition of a secondary filter for the bonus filtration, and I have noticed that the aquaclears hold bacteria better than most FW HOB filters. I really appreciate you asking this question, because advice like this often confuses people and I generally forget to explain myself. =]
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Cool. I always multifilter anyway, was unfamiliar with the one in question.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Good articles above, in our Library Section.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
knoids
Puffer Fry

Post by knoids »

Nuclear_Glitter wrote:I would recommend an aquaclear filter in addition to your current filter. You could get an aquaclear 20 or 30 and put it with your other one for more filtration.
Do you think that with 2 filters there will be too much current? especially with a aquaclear 30! I actually have looked into a aquaclear filter though. It seems like they are one of the best filters. I JUST looked at the AC 20, and it does 100 gph as well!
knoids
Puffer Fry

Post by knoids »

bertie 83 wrote:Max 2 in a 10 gal, they love snails and all meaty foods. Heavily decorate and change 50% weekly. Their teeth do not grow like other puffers but boy do they love snails
Thanks! I was wondering whether I should get 2 or 3, I looked at Yahoo Answers (you know how yahoo is) and most people on yahoo said that 3 DP'S where fine in a 10 gallon tank, so I am glad to get a real puffer-keeper to tell me what is the truth!
knoids
Puffer Fry

Post by knoids »

Pufferpunk wrote:Good articles above, in our Library Section.
Im sorry, but what are you saying??
knoids
Puffer Fry

Post by knoids »

bertie 83 wrote:Max 2 in a 10 gal, they love snails and all meaty foods. Heavily decorate and change 50% weekly. Their teeth do not grow like other puffers but boy do they love snails
Is a 50% water change still necessary with only 1 DP? What type of meaty foods do you use? Midas shrimp?
knoids
Puffer Fry

Post by knoids »

bertie 83 wrote:I am not familiar with the current filter, 100gph sounds good, just curious ng why add another? Is the current one not much cop?
It's a pretty lame filter. Not much biological filtration. That's why I was looking at aquaclear filter.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Lots of current is good because they need the exercise. No, it won't be too much for it to handle, don't worry. I know you actually asked Bertie this question, but you should still do 50% water change even with 1 DP. The only other way to tell if you can drop back on changes is to use a liquid test kit (API freshwaterliquid test kit) is good for this. How you know how often to do changes is when your nitrate level is near 20. With puffers you must always keep the nitrates under 20.

Another 100GPH would be great, because puffers are EXTREMELY messy, and the extra filtration is a HUGE benefit.
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

What nuclear said lol. Always start with 50% weekly and go from there, once you are in the habit 5g won't take you long to change anyway. It's always better to change a little more if you can than not change enough
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

bertie 83 wrote:It's always better to change a little more if you can than not change enough
+1 =]