Stocking a 20 gallon for DPs

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Re: Stocking a 20 gallon for DPs

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Hopefully! Generally there are two sellers who post them, I've noticed.

I wish you the best of luck with everything! You should start a tank building thread, too. People love to follow those and you can get some great advice that way. You of course don't have to, but it can be a lot of fun.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Alabama, U.S.

Post by Sun_Queen »

I think I will, once I get it going, thanks for all the help, you really put many fears I had to rest!
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

I'm so glad to hear that. It was no problem. Just let me know if you need anything else.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I have to disagree on the otos. They should only be in mature planted tanks. They are not very hardy fish in the transition from the wild to captivity and without a well-established planted tank (months) they are not very likely to survive. And tank footprint does matter. I doubt that I could support 4 otos in a 20-long, and I am certain that I could not in a 20 tall. That is a very awkward tank format IME.

FWIW
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry

Post by Sun_Queen »

Thank you Nuclear_glitter

I do realize they aren't hardy, is there something other than ottos I could put in there? or should I just stick to the DPs?
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

"Many people feel big tanks dedicated to one fish will be quite boring, but once they get a puffer they realize it's not boring at all. However, if you feel like you will not be happy with one fish, don't get the puffer. Go for a school of a single species or something. Don't mix puffers with other fish though as it will end badly "
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry

Post by Sun_Queen »

I'd be fine just having the puffers, whatever is best for the fish will be fine with me :)

I think I'll just stick to the 3 DPs, just to be safe, thank you for all the recommendations people!
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry

Post by Sun_Queen »

just and update, I just got the tank and I'm almost positive it's a 25 gallon tank not a twenty- not sure if it really changes my plans though..
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Hi. Three dps in there would be cool. You could do 4 but trust me understocked tanks are massively underrated. I agree to swerve ottos, they are not hardy, I could not keep them long term even in a window tank which was an algae farm. It may have been my bad luck but I vowed not to get them again. Good luck with whatever you choose just don't go too heavy on fish, when they have their own space they are much more fun
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

RTR wrote:I have to disagree on the otos. They should only be in mature planted tanks. They are not very hardy fish in the transition from the wild to captivity and without a well-established planted tank (months) they are not very likely to survive. And tank footprint does matter. I doubt that I could support 4 otos in a 20-long, and I am certain that I could not in a 20 tall. That is a very awkward tank format IME.

FWIW
I am curious to know, is the tank length a problem because of their length or their swimming habits? I know that ottos generally don't do well, but if the aquarium was cycled, and she added the plants, and was feeding them other foods what is the problem? I'm in no way saying you're wrong, just trying to figure out the exact issues with it so I can help other people.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

puffykid wrote:"Many people feel big tanks dedicated to one fish will be quite boring, but once they get a puffer they realize it's not boring at all. However, if you feel like you will not be happy with one fish, don't get the puffer. Go for a school of a single species or something. Don't mix puffers with other fish though as it will end badly "
I know I said that in another thread, but it has also been my understanding that ottos generally are fine with DPs (so long as you can get the ottos to actually live), just like bumblebee gobies are generally okay with F8s. That guy is trying to mix fish with a fahaka.

I do believe that puffers are most of the time better on their own, but certain things do at times work out.
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry

Post by Sun_Queen »

I think I'll stick to just the 3 puffers, they'll just have plenty of swimming room
They'll just have to fill their tank with their big personalities :D
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Sun_Queen wrote:I think I'll stick to just the 3 puffers, they'll just have plenty of swimming room
They'll just have to fill their tank with their big personalities :D
That will be a very nice tank for them.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Once you have them in that tank you will see how awesome the extra space is. You will soon be scanning the tank for them before you realise they are at the glass looking at you, many peops get this daily
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry

Post by Sun_Queen »

I hope they'll like it! I'm going to start cycling tomorrow, maybe I should start a build thread :)