Suggestions on FW Puffer

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
migs
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Suggestions on FW Puffer

Post by migs »

I would like to convert my 30 gal into a singleton puffer tank... I am looking for a very interactive puffer (not nocturnal or shy)... does anyone have suggestions or experience with Red Eye Red Tail, Red Eye Red Belly, or Abei puffers? Any votes on your favorite? Thank you!
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Re: Suggestions on FW Puffer

Post by Flutter »

I have experience with red eye red tail puffers (irrubescos). Ours are quite bold and interactive. They're bold enough to bite but it doesn't hurt unless they get a sensitive area (like a cuticle). We have 4 and each one has a different personality. They're all piggies too and eat everything we give them which is nice. They watch us a lot and if we start looking at the tank the ones that are out start begging for food. If we open the lid they're all guaranteed to be in the feeding area waiting for food.

I believe that irrubescos are nicer to each other than the red eye red belly ones (lorteti). I have no experiences with them.

Lastly, for an abei, I'm going to watch what is said. That is the puffer that I want next. There's a local store that will order one and it's so tempting to get one :lol:
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I had a female lorteti for a while & then added 2 more F & a M. She killed the 2 F the 1st night & then after spawning with the M 3x, she killed him too. Of course, this was before I knew better & they were all in a 10g tank. It might have worked in something much larger & heavily decorated & of course, it they had all been introduced as juvies, at the same time. Dr Ebert says they do best in pairs.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
migs
Puffer Fry

Post by migs »

Any experience with abei's?
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

there is a guy over on MFK that has recently purchased one
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
Hilly
Mentor
My Puffers: Current: Tetraodon Lineatus
Previous:
Tetraodon Sabahensis
Montrete Abei
Tetraodon Biocellatus
Carinotetraodon Salivator
Location (country): UK

Post by Hilly »

Abei's are nice looking, get to a decent size but would do nicely in a 30 gallon, they can be quite active but will also lurk. Mine didnt like a lot of open space and preferred lots of decor to swim in and out of and lurk under. Can be a bit picky with food. Never could get him to eat cockel but mussels, prawns snails and bloodworms were readily accepted. If you feed and they dont eat, leave it for a couple of days.
Hilly
Mac Myers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 3 Dwarf Puffers
Location (country): Palm Harbor, Florida USA

Post by Mac Myers »

I loves me some Colomesus asellus