Is this brand Pool Sand OK to use for Substrate?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Tetraodon biocellatus, 3 Colomesus asellus, 4 Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Location (country): U.S.A

Is this brand Pool Sand OK to use for Substrate?

Post by borgey »

I just went to NAMCO to purchase some pool sand for a new tank I am going to be putting my 2 SAPs into. All they had was this brand called "Lighthouse". They actually had an open bag that just had a little rip in the bottom of it and said I could have it for free. I figured sure why not so I got it and brought it home. I am washing the sand out now and the first couple of washes the water seems pretty damn nasty. It has a weird foam but goes away and the water does get clear after 8-10 washes. Has anyone used this before? Is this safe to use? Here is the link for the exact bag I have http://www.u-s-silica.com/lighthouse.htm
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Usa

Re: Is this brand Pool Sand OK to use for Substrate?

Post by Brandon8521 »

Seems fine to me. I had that same frothyness when I washed playsand so I think its pretty normal. Trust me all playsand and pool sand is really nasty when you first start to wash it. It will make your tank look really murky aswell but dont worry to much about it it will clear up and its not harmfull to your inhabitants either.
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

Pool sand in this area is actually very clean and most people don't even rinse it. We've used it without rinsing and the tank doesn't even go a bit cloudy. I'm amazed that they could sell it dirty, after all it's supposed to go in your pool without rinsing...

To be honest, I'd be a bit worried about the foam. Hopefully you can get more information on whether or not it's safe.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

If it's pretty dirty I would probably get something else. IDK, maybe someone else will say if they had good luck with it.

Here's what I have in my tank.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e263/ ... 0003-3.jpg

I just bought some more for a 55g that I just set up. I had water sitting in the tank and was going to drain and refill it before adding decor and then fish. So I just added the sand directly to the tank without washing it. It was cloudy and I drained the tank as planned and refilled. The water was nearly crystal clear. HTH
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
jtbadco

Post by jtbadco »

I would be concerned with the foaming and I don't recommend using any sand that needs to be rinsed that much.

The pool filter sand I use is Granusil,...It is already super clean,...no rinsing required....but it is probably a locally produced brand. Is there a difference between Pool Sand and Pool Filter Sand? Just curious...
Last edited by jtbadco on Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

I have never received any sand that doesnt need to be washed. It may say it doesnt but it allways does IME. Most of the dirt is from the sand being moved and packaged as it grindes on itself it created fine powder like granuals which is what I call the dirty part.
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

Flutter wrote:To be honest, I'd be a bit worried about the foam. Hopefully you can get more information on whether or not it's safe.

If its what Im thinking its like makeing muddy water frothy. You get the big bubbles but they dont stick around.
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Tetraodon biocellatus, 3 Colomesus asellus, 4 Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Post by borgey »

FML, of course it's in my tank already with my aquaclear going and almost setup. I don't know what to do, when i rinsed it, it was infact turning the water a brown color. when i put it in the tank it did not cloud up one bit tho.
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by borgey »

What would you guys suggest doing? Are there any tests I can do? Should I just say the hell with it and drain the tank and find some different sand? I am very nervous about this now.
jtbadco

Post by jtbadco »

If the foam settles away then it is probably as Bcummings said...harmless bubbles from particulates stirred up when u added the water to the sand or vice versa.

Hard to say for sure,...not being familiar with the brand.
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by borgey »

jtbadco wrote:If the foam settles away then it is probably as Bcummings said...harmless bubbles from particulates stirred up when u added the water to the sand or vice versa.

Hard to say for sure,...not being familiar with the brand.
Well what worries me the most is that I got an open bag that was outside. I figured I would take only a little from the 50 pound bag and it would be from the top (the hole was more on the bottom). I am just worried about chemicals and stuff but I did see a foam like substance when first rinsing it. Also like other people have said I thought pool filter sand was not supposed to be rinsed. I really don't want to take the chance on killing my Puffers. But I don't know what to do at all. UGGHHHH
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by borgey »

The sand is also pretty dark too. Not sure if this matters but I think pool filter sand I have seen before is more of a light color
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by borgey »

It is 99.5% Silicone Dioxide which is what every other brand uses. I think it will be good, maybe I should put one of my ghost shrimps in there to test it out even tho I don't support testing with animals.
Ohyouknow
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Vicious (T. Lineatus - Fahaka)
Location (country): Indiana, USA.

Post by Ohyouknow »

Well, IMO I think it may have been an old bag and you washed it - do you happen to still have the bag? Where I bought my sand they had different kinds, and there were three kinds - pool filter sand, 99.5% silica, play sand, and white play sand. The white play sand said "NOT AQUARIUM SAFE" and was the same brand as the other play sand, so I assumed one was safe, the other was not. (Probably due to the whitening process?). The Pool Filter Sand said it was Non Toxic. It's hard to read the label in the link you gave, but perhaps if you find information on it somewhere?
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open.
borgey
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by borgey »

Yeah you're right it was old I think for sure. It's 99.5 % silica also. The link has physical and chemical list on it and I find no chemicals at all. Yes I still have the bag I was planning on starting the switch over to the new tank in a little bit but I am kinda sketchy now. I think it will be good but I don't want to chance it either. It's Lighthouse Pool Filter Sand by US Silica that's the name on the bag